Is there a difference bewteen backlinks and

Jenny70

Jul 6, 2009
Backlinks and incoming links, are they basically the same thing or is there a difference?

Also, while I'm already here, what is a no follow link? Thanks in advance for any help. It's much appreciated.

:bowdown:

backlink = incoming link

no follow link means there is a nofollow attribute attached to the hyperlink
Code:
<a href="site.com" rel="nofollow" title="SITE">site.com</a>

nofollow links don't pass PR juice but do help you get indexed.

In what type of instance would I want to use a nofollow link? I'm just confused as to why I would want to post my link but make it to where people couldn't get to the site by clicking.

Jenny70. Nofollow is just a code for the search engines to not give as much credibility to a link. Your link will still show and when you click it, it will go where ever you set it up to go even if the site you post it on has made it a "nofollow" link.

The reason site owners do this is because they may be ok with people posting links on their blogs or sites, but by making a link nofollow, you're essentially telling the search engines that you don't vouch for that link.

If you can find good sites that use "dofollow" links, that's a great place to get backlinks because the search engines will view it as being endorsed by the site you posted the link on. That's basically how it works.

Oh, hey....I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to buy incoming links? Is that true? The last thing I wanna do is piss Google off before I really even get started. Google gets on my last nerve anyway with their never-ending list of dumb rules.

Oh, hey....I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to buy incoming links? Is that true? The last thing I wanna do is piss Google off before I really even get started. Google gets on my last nerve anyway with their never-ending list of dumb rules.

Yeah..unfortunately Google doesn't like people trying to manipulate the searches by buying quality backlinks. That hasn't stopped anyone in my opinion. If you pick and choose where you buy links, you should be fine. Mix that in with all the other normal backlinking methods and you'll be on the way to getting some good rankings.

Get the seobook ff plugin, it will highlight all the no follow links in red (or does it highlight all the follow links in red?) I don't remember, now and that plug in is on a different computer. I hardly use it because I find the red higlighted links all over the page to be annoying. But you can always click the plugin off for normal searching.

How does one know when a site is nofollow or dofollow generally?

I have the FF SEO plug and it works well. I only turn it on when want to check something out though.

Also, to find nofollow or dofollow, when you're on the site just do Control U then Control F and type nofollow. If any come up...you'll have your answer.

I have the FF SEO plug and it works well. I only turn it on when want to check something out though.

Also, to find nofollow or dofollow, when you're on the site just do Control U then Control F and type nofollow. If any come up...you'll have your answer.

Oh ok search for it in the source code basically. Nice. Thanks!

For you question, "In what type of instance would I want to use a nofollow link?"

Another time you might want to use nofollow link is for internal linking on your site. I use nofollow on my links to my about us and contact us pages because I don't really need to give those pages link juice.

For you question, "In what type of instance would I want to use a nofollow link?"

Another time you might want to use nofollow link is for internal linking on your site. I use nofollow on my links to my about us and contact us pages because I don't really need to give those pages link juice.
What about when you have a site that has multiple methods of linking to the same pages?

Like, for instance, you have a block that lists your "top 10 articles", and some of those articles are in another block that has "most recent articles", or an "archives" list, etc.

I think I've read that redundant linking can be bad for SEO, as Google confuses it for duplicate content?