Is anyone using carbonite?

mikecarquote

Jul 6, 2008
Is anyone using carbonite to backup files? $59 per year is pretty cheap and was wondering about experiences?

What do you make of this? Wonder if he just has an ax to grind. He was sucessful in my case as I am looking elsewhere.
http://www.inquisitr.com/114504/dropbox-is-in-for-another-round-of-user-anger-thanks-to-dropbox-reader/

Lastly, It occurs to me the dedicated server I host on has lots of storage and I am using very little of it right now. Any recommendations, other than FTP, of software to manage automated backups from my laptop to a folder on my dedi?

i use CrashPlan... up to 10 computers, can pay 4 years in advance, and NO limit on data storage.

I also use a local storage plan as well with PureSync and also use Truecrypt on a lot of my files wherever they are stored and also use DB as well for files I need access to on diff computers.

Genie9 (Formerly Genie-soft) | Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Solutions for Windows to my servers.

I never understood the appeal of the subscription model on Carbonite and the like IF you have your own hosting. I have used Genie and it's predecessors for years with very good results. It has many automated backup options that stores my files on my servers. Set it and forget it with no monthly fee's.

Must be tough to let the subscription lapse once all your data is on Carbonite's servers.

I use the 90/10 rule, there's a small number of files I really need (rest can be easily found online) and I use Dropbox to do a backup, plan to get an external hard drive soon.

Genie9 (Formerly Genie-soft) | Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Solutions for Windows to my servers.

I never understood the appeal of the subscription model on Carbonite and the like IF you have your own hosting. I have used Genie and it's predecessors for years with very good results. It has many automated backup options that stores my files on my servers. Set it and forget it with no monthly fee's.

Must be tough to let the subscription lapse once all your data is on Carbonite's servers.

Even though I dont use Carbonite, my plan is to order DVD's of all my files in 4 years if I don't renew my CrashPlan sub. If I dont do that, then I will just delete all my data off their server before it lapse's, if i ever let it lapse as I also have a home backup solution as well.

Even though I dont use Carbonite, my plan is to order DVD's of all my files in 4 years if I don't renew my CrashPlan sub. If I dont do that, then I will just delete all my data off their server before it lapse's, if i ever let it lapse as I also have a home backup solution as well.

I was looking at the crashplan site. Do they really provide unlimited online storage for only $3/month per computer? That seems like a great deal.