Interview with our Adwords Ad Rep: Advice

Benji49

Feb 6, 2008
Apparently it can't be delayed anymore. We have to meet with our adwords rep next week and take note of the hot tips that he/she will pass onto us. That's the pretend agenda. Of course the real agenda is that they want to suss us out.

Our marketing guy is terrified, since conventional wisdom says if we try to bullshit or stonewall on our true ROI or conversion rate (we don't use Google conversion code), we can get hammered.

Any survivors of a Google anal probe? Any tips?

I didn't know Google knew how to use a phone.

^lol

as for the google probe.. you've gotta be doing something pretty impressive for them to spend the time on the anal probe. that costs them tons of money, and aliens are hard to come by now a days.

i had this happen to a buddy of mine in LA a few years ago when he got a contract with GM to do a online game website with an eye toward pushing traffic to GM products / cars, etc. somehow google got wind of it, and was questioning their ridiculous outputs of traffic / conversions, etc. long story short, google found out how he was operating the site, shut him down via index, and contacted GM as well, inevitably loosing his promotions contract with them.
2 years later, come to find out, google has changed their TOS to allow the same problem to flourish , that my buddy was exploiting, and thus causing his multi-million dollar startup to crash and burn.

i'll have to ask him exactly what they found because i can't remember the details... but thats google for ya. best of luck to ya buddy

It's not a big deal, they usually just wanna ask "how can we help you spend more?", which is useful if you do a lot of bulk changes because they'll assign someone to do the grunt work, and approve your new stuff faster. I've never heard of Google using it to try to "expose" what you are doing, they usually just do it when they see a certain amount of money spent over time and a growth in ad spend each month.

I agree with Mont7071, they probably just want to help increase your spend. We were contacted for an introduction and even went as far as having dinner with our reps near their office. Unless you're running entirely shady accounts or campaigns I would suggest taking advantage of it.

The account reps themselves are totally seperate from their compliance department so you shouldn't have to worry too much about your call I'd say. From my experience the above comments are correct, they're likely wanting to get you to spend more money and use more services. I'd prep some sort of an answer for why you aren't wanting to use their conversion codes however, as that's something that your rep will press.

What I would suggest, as I've found from experience with my affiliates and accounts, is that you want to appear as open as possible, and also make yourself appear to be a legitimate and substantial corporate entity (don't use the word affiliate). Contrary to what a lot of people think, you should be on good terms and regularly communicate with your Adwords rep. When things go wrong and compliance decides to change the rules on you, a good rep can be the difference between a lifetime ban and a simple tweak to a landing page and being good to go again.

Good luck!

Reactions: Benji49
The reps at Google are fucking SHEEP...totally brainwashed by Google lawyers on what to say and what not to say...essentially they can ask you to spend more money but aren't allowed to answer any questions that might actually help your business.

You don't have to talk to them at all...i now just ignore them when they email now.

The account reps themselves are totally seperate from their compliance department so you shouldn't have to worry too much about your call I'd say. From my experience the above comments are correct, they're likely wanting to get you to spend more money and use more services. I'd prep some sort of an answer for why you aren't wanting to use their conversion codes however, as that's something that your rep will press.

What I would suggest, as I've found from experience with my affiliates and accounts, is that you want to appear as open as possible, and also make yourself appear to be a legitimate and substantial corporate entity (don't use the word affiliate). Contrary to what a lot of people think, you should be on good terms and regularly communicate with your Adwords rep. When things go wrong and compliance decides to change the rules on you, a good rep can be the difference between a lifetime ban and a simple tweak to a landing page and being good to go again.

Good luck!

+1 rep thanks

unfortunately in my case, a banned account could not be revived by my Rep. so having a rep and telling him too many things is not in your best interest. I made that mistake last year

I had a phone call with Google that they kept on contacting me to arrange. I literally learned nothing except I got to practice saying "that's interesting" and "oh okay".

PLzHr.jpg

i have always been impressed with Google Adwords customer service over the phone. Fast and good follow-up. I wouldn't take their marketing skills advice but as far as answering the phone about billing or ads or whatever they seem to have it together that has been my experience anyway.

your done....this is the lube got you get before losing your income....its common practice, either way, find a new living