Internet Sales Slowing says Drudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree. I think its bull. Whats it like... only 2% of total commerce happens on the web? There's plenty of room for growth.

They may mean the increase in sales year to year, but its definitely growing.

The percent of the world population that has internet access grows each year. I think a good majority of those new people have money. My guess is they will buy something online.

Growth is slowing, which is not a big surprise. So instead of increasing by 25%, maybe they'll go up only 15-20% in the sectors mentioned. Big deal... it's not like you can continue hypergrowth forever.

Yeah it's kind of like congress saying they cut spending when all they did was revise the budget forecast from 50 billion to 49 billion.

Ironically though, in this piece , it specifically points out the health sector. Big shenanigans on that. Baby boomers are all retiring and more than ever people our undergoing plastic surgery etc, which all falls under "health"

Well guys Drudge got the Monika Lewinsky Case first! But this prediction seems kinda screwed up (no puns eh). I personally don't see any slowdown in US Figures but just Growth. I also see a hyper-growth in emerging countries.

Witnessing the things first hand, I can tell you that emerging countries are huge opportunity and the figures there have no where to go but up. Even if they see a dip in US numbers, cumulative figures are nuff to prove the whole news bullocks.

Oh and btw are those people quoting analysts? The people who analyze for the sake of analyzing? :p

Having been in the game since 1999, I can honestly say that there is no better time to be in it than now. =)

Yeah yeah.. I've been hearing this shit for years and haven't seen many signs of it being true. Maybe some niches slow down versus others, but when one major niche starts to slow down, fifty more pop up in it's place, so it's all good in my book.

Its a fucking New York Times article guys, Drudge just links to stories:
Online Sales Lose Steam as Buyers Grow Web-Weary - New York Times

"Since the inception of the Web, online commerce has enjoyed hypergrowth, with annual sales increasing more than 25 percent over all, and far more rapidly in many categories. But in the last year, growth has slowed sharply in major sectors like books, tickets and office supplies."

"Forrester Research, a market research company, projects that online book sales will rise 11 percent this year, compared with nearly 40 percent last year. Apparel sales, which increased 61 percent last year, are expected to slow to 21 percent. And sales of pet supplies are on pace to rise 30 percent this year after climbing 81 percent last year."

"Jupiter Research, another market research firm, says the growth rate has peaked. It projects that overall online sales growth will slow to 9 percent a year by the end of the decade from as much as 25 percent in 2004."

"

Early financial results from e-commerce companies bear out the trend. EBay reported that revenue from Web site sales increased by just 1 percent in the first three months of this year compared with the same period last year. Bookings from Expedia’s North American Web sites rose by only 1 percent in the first quarter of this year. And Dell said that revenue in the Americas — United States, Canada and Latin America — for the three months ended May 4 was $8.9 billion, or nearly unchanged from the same period last year."

So, if you do a billion dollars in sales a year you might have trouble growing.

The one part of the article I found funny was people complaining about online shopping feeling like work. I'll gladly take Amazon.com any day over going to WalMart and navigating the store next to fat hairy white trash or go to Best Buy only to find all of the routers they have in stock are pieces of shit.

May be someone forgot to complete the sentence

Internet sales are slowing down the retail market rather!

States say Internet purchases rob them of sales tax revenues. Congress has imposed a temporary moratorium on taxes on such purchases. It ends in November, although some Members of Congress want to make it permanent, reports CBS News Correspondent Bob Fuss.

Thats the latest I could get! I don't think it is anywhere close to slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.