Image Ads On Adwords Content Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjb1891

Mar 12, 2007
Has anyone had any success running image ads on a keyword targeted Adwords content network campaign before? I've never tried them myself. I've always just used the text ads. I haven't seen many people talking about this before. So, that's why I'm asking.

I do not have the old thread ready, but the gist was that you can get very, very cheap clicks using image ads.

::emp::

I have used image ads in the past. It takes 2-3 days to get them approved by Adwords and to get them live.

The clicks are cheap, yes. But make sure to put some thought into the look and feel of your banners. If Photoshop is not down your alley, grab some banners from your offer's creatives and use those. Ask your AM if they have alternative creatives not listed as well.

I designed my own last time I tried it. I had moderate success with it, but I think if I had put more time into creating a more varations of my ads I could have done much better. Obviously, you have more options with images than with words. Remember that you can also use text within your images. ;)

I see they allow 8 different sized images. Do any of you know which Adsense unit sizes are the most commonly used?

I see they allow 8 different sized images. Do any of you know which Adsense unit sizes are the most commonly used?

Go look around at the sites they have listed that you think your ad would relate to, and it will show you what sizes those sites allow.

Go look around at the sites they have listed that you think your ad would relate to, and it will show you what sizes those sites allow.

What if I was promoting something like ringtones or dating(Not that I would)? That could be a shit ton of sites to look up.

What if I was promoting something like ringtones or dating(Not that I would)? That could be a shit ton of sites to look up.

If you're wondering about common sizes overall:

[SIZE=-1]728 X 90[/SIZE] - leaderboard
468 x 60 - smaller version

I'd say those are the two most commonly used ads, but if you are going to be advertising all over the place, almost all of them are used, so you'd probably have to create them all.

3rd on the list is probably the square version, can't remember the size.

Also, if I remember right, they list the sizes by popularity, so you might use that as a reference point as well.

How do they calculate CPCs for images anyways? Especially the larger sized images. For example, if you're running a banner size that normally would have 3 Adsense text units in it would it cost you 3 times as much per click?

I guess I should go read their help menu for image ads real quick.

how many days does it usually take to start accruing a good amount of impressions?

day 2 of my image campaign running = 450 impressions as of now. at .40 CPC bid, i figure this will soon pick up.

do impressions usually pick up around day 4 or 5?

how many days does it usually take to start accruing a good amount of impressions?

day 2 of my image campaign running = 450 impressions as of now. at .40 CPC bid, i figure this will soon pick up.

do impressions usually pick up around day 4 or 5?

Are you running only one image size or are you running multiple sizes? If you're just running one size then your ad will only appear on pages/sites that have that size of Adsense unit available. That could be why you're getting a lower number of impressions.

Are you running only one image size or are you running multiple sizes? If you're just running one size then your ad will only appear on pages/sites that have that size of Adsense unit available. That could be why you're getting a lower number of impressions.

I've got the three most popular image sizes running. However, I only have about 40 keywords, so I figure that's my problem. I am going to bump that up to quite a bit more and see what happens.

I've got the three most popular image sizes running. However, I only have about 40 keywords, so I figure that's my problem. I am going to bump that up to quite a bit more and see what happens.

I've read before that Google only looks at the first 50 keywords in a content network adgroup to develop a "theme" for all of the keywords combined.

Also, I've read that Google looks at all keyword match types as the same in the content network as well. So, apparently there's no point in using multiple match types of each keyword.

You could try putting every individual keyword into it's own adgroup. I'm not 100% sure if that would work or not, but it might since Google would be running ads for each individual keyword and not creating their own "theme" for all of your keywords together. You could do this pretty quick if you use Adwords Editor.

Give us some feedback if you try any of those ideas.:D

Img ad is not cheap. The blocks are for text too.
If you want to show img, your should outbid the sum of text ad in that block. It is nature for google to build such a simple formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.