Identifying Good Niches - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylemangi

Jul 16, 2006
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Hi,
I'm keen to get some feedback from those who have done this before to see if I am on the right track.

I have been researching a variety of niches for opportunities to develop a network of sites for monetisation purposes. I think I have identified a niche which I think has good search volumes and moderate competition but I'd appreciate some feedback as tot he numbers and whether they actually represent an opportunity.

For the sake fo this exercise lets use Cars. I am using Aaron Walls Keyword Research Tool http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword/

The top category Cars generate 366k mthly searches. Google search finds 97,900,000

However as i dig deeper and search for specific brands of cars i start getting the following results: (remember i am using cars as an example)

Totota cars - Searches: 684k Google Sites: 5.63 million (this one seems v high)
Lexus cars - Searches: 3.6k Google Sites: 1.8 million
Ford cars - Searches: 20k Google Sites: 2.4 million

You get the idea. I am only looking at searches in excess of say 3k per month and the number of sites on google are between 600k to 5million.

My questions are whether this is the right strategy to follow in the identification of usable niches and whether the numbers above represent decent opportunities?

Thanks in advance

NicheTaxi is not a bad starting point, but you should double check your results with Wordtracker, Google, etc.

Here's how I do it:
  1. Start with a very broad topic - cars is good
  2. Get results, skim the list for more specific (nichey) topics
  3. One of the results is "hybrid car", so I'll click on that
  4. Doesn't look good, so I'll dig deeper which still renders nothing
  5. Time to hit the Back button or just type a new search
  6. This time I'll try "xxxxxx xxxxxx", no good
  7. Drill down into "xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx", Cabbie likes this one "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nichetaxi Factor = 244.63%"[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now I've got a possible niche, lets go to Wordtracker and see what we get[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looks good on Wordtracker, now I go to Google and check the competition, make sure that you put the phrase in quotes or else you'll get a lot of results that are semi to un-related[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well Google looks good, not too much competition versus searches, so I'll go back to NicheTaxi's list and Wordtracker's list and fine tune the keyword list I'm going to use.
    [/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okay, well it looks like I've got my keyword list[/FONT]
So, thats just one way to do it. Just be sure that whatever tools you use, you use them the same way each time for consistency.

~Mike~

WallaceCleaver said:
Don't you worry that a site like Niche Taxi would log your searches and, if you type in something fantastic, target your niche?

That's is a good point.

Stylemangi said:
Hi,
I'm keen to get some feedback from those who have done this before to see if I am on the right track.

I have been researching a variety of niches for opportunities to develop a network of sites for monetisation purposes. I think I have identified a niche which I think has good search volumes and moderate competition but I'd appreciate some feedback as tot he numbers and whether they actually represent an opportunity.

For the sake fo this exercise lets use Cars. I am using Aaron Walls Keyword Research Tool http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword/

The top category Cars generate 366k mthly searches. Google search finds 97,900,000

However as i dig deeper and search for specific brands of cars i start getting the following results: (remember i am using cars as an example)

Totota cars - Searches: 684k Google Sites: 5.63 million (this one seems v high)
Lexus cars - Searches: 3.6k Google Sites: 1.8 million
Ford cars - Searches: 20k Google Sites: 2.4 million

You get the idea. I am only looking at searches in excess of say 3k per month and the number of sites on google are between 600k to 5million.

My questions are whether this is the right strategy to follow in the identification of usable niches and whether the numbers above represent decent opportunities?

Thanks in advance
If I were you, I will pick Lexus cars!
1.Make a simple blog ,
2.Get a usedlexuscars.com domain,
3.Get articles from articles directories, post at your blog
4.Monetize thru adsense,
5.subcribess to RSS FEed and don't forget to PING!
6.Update your blog with Fresh content once a week.
7.Submit your own articles once a week to Article Directories to get a link back.
8.Submit your link to directories or buy a PR5 link
:bowdown:

Thanks for the pointers

Thanks all for the feedback. Appreciate your pointers re tools nd will defin try them out and give some feedback.

I guess in terms of metrics one quality niche compared to another is dependent on a comparison of both their search volumes to competition numbers.

ta
ed

SEO_Mike said:
NicheTaxi is not a bad starting point, but you should double check your results with Wordtracker, Google, etc.

Here's how I do it:
  1. Start with a very broad topic - cars is good
  2. Get results, skim the list for more specific (nichey) topics
  3. One of the results is "hybrid car", so I'll click on that
  4. Doesn't look good, so I'll dig deeper which still renders nothing
  5. Time to hit the Back button or just type a new search
  6. This time I'll try "xxxxxx xxxxxx", no good
  7. Drill down into "xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx", Cabbie likes this one "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nichetaxi Factor = 244.63%"[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now I've got a possible niche, lets go to Wordtracker and see what we get[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looks good on Wordtracker, now I go to Google and check the competition, make sure that you put the phrase in quotes or else you'll get a lot of results that are semi to un-related[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well Google looks good, not too much competition versus searches, so I'll go back to NicheTaxi's list and Wordtracker's list and fine tune the keyword list I'm going to use.
    [/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okay, well it looks like I've got my keyword list[/FONT]
So, thats just one way to do it. Just be sure that whatever tools you use, you use them the same way each time for consistency.

~Mike~

Thanks Mike, I'd forgotten to check with quotes...thanks for the reminder. :)

pearz76 said:
If I were you, I will pick Lexus cars!
1.Make a simple blog ,
2.Get a usedlexuscars.com domain,
3.Get articles from articles directories, post at your blog
4.Monetize thru adsense,
5.subcribess to RSS FEed and don't forget to PING!
6.Update your blog with Fresh content once a week.
7.Submit your own articles once a week to Article Directories to get a link back.
8.Submit your link to directories or buy a PR5 link
:bowdown:

Thanks for that, I will definately try some of these pointers as well.

Cheers

How does Niche Taxi Work?

I Create Things said:
I personally have started using nichetaxi, pick a keyword and it will tell you if its a good niche. Not sure if this helps..

Thanks for this Colin. I played with Nicche Taxi for a bit adn managed to find a "Top Quality Niche". 195k estimated monthly volume of searches and 362k sites in google using "XXX XXXX" type search.

I guess my question is does anyone have an idea how Nichetaxi works??. ie What is the algorithm by which it determines what is a good niche or not? I hate using a tool that I don't understand the underlying mechanism for...means I'm not learning anything..
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.