I need to check the availability of 91k domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatmasta

Jan 7, 2007
NYC
So I need to see which domains of 217k are available. Wooo fun....

What is the best way to go about this? Places like dotster, moniker, etc only allow 300 or 500 domains at a time.

I wrote a script to do it, but it's super slow.

If it helps, I'm building a list of available LLLL.coms....

what are you doing to check to see if it's available?

This bash script works (where 'list' is a file with one domain per line)

Code:
cat list | while read line; do whois "${line}" | grep "No match for"; done

I saw a post awhile back somewhere that said even all 4 letter domains have been taken :S

lol i had the same problem a couple months back

First PING DOMAIN.COM for all of them.
ones that get a response back remove from the list.
that'll drastically drop the list size and the time it takes to whois all those sites.

Next grab a large list of whois servers and start rolling through the rest using a whois script. Someone here had a problem with that awhile back and i advised downloading some free whois scripts from places like hotscripts.com and stuff to get a good solid list and some nice code snipplets. If you get a big enough list you should have no problem sorting through the rest.

EDIT: Btw the easiest way to ping the list is by doing a shell_exec command in php.
$response = shell_exec(ping -n 1 $domain);
I don't know php very well but i think thats how you do it. I may be wrong though :)

If you have an account with moniker, ask your rep to send you API Information and then build up a script to check as many domain as you want. Though you can send only 500 domains at once, but, loop through all your sets of 500s.

They have a rather extensive documentation, so building this script should not be such a problem.

lol i had the same problem a couple months back

First PING DOMAIN.COM for all of them.
ones that get a response back remove from the list.
that'll drastically drop the list size and the time it takes to whois all those sites.

Next grab a large list of whois servers and start rolling through the rest using a whois script. Someone here had a problem with that awhile back and i advised downloading some free whois scripts from places like hotscripts.com and stuff to get a good solid list and some nice code snipplets. If you get a big enough list you should have no problem sorting through the rest.

EDIT: Btw the easiest way to ping the list is by doing a shell_exec command in php.

I don't know php very well but i think thats how you do it. I may be wrong though :)
So so so close!
PHP:
 			 				$response =  shell_exec(`ping -n 1 `.$domain);

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.