I need some help with managing all my shit...

LMSInc.

Oct 21, 2009
Alright, so I've been doing a lot of offline shit as of late for local clients. I helped a friends dad out and built him a website, then when I went to collect the (small) fee I charged him, we ended up getting into a 2 hour conversation about his business. Long story short, I am now handling every aspect of his marketing and web presence, and now he is pawning me off to a bunch of other business owners he knows.

I've been broke for WAY too fucking long, so yay for me.

Now to my problems.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to effectively keep track of everything I have going on!

I have multiple servers, multiple cPanels, domains, FTP accounts, WP accounts, clients, FB accounts, Gmail accounts, Email accounts, Adwords accounts, etc etc etc.

Then on top of all that, I need to keep track of all of the aspects of SEO so I can track my results, so links, articles, directory listings, rank, keywords, etc.

For a few clients, I also need to keep track of social media accounts and info, their logins to numerous directories and whatnot that they're already listed in, newsletters, sales/promos, etc.

Then of course, there is the billing. I need to be able to tell what I am billing, to whom I am billing it, and what it is being billed for, and when, for each client.

Right now 80% of my 'work' consists of me just doing redundant bullshit and trying to keep track of things, which just isn't working. Now I have a cluster-fuck of paper notes, notepad files, excel files, Google docs, Evernote clips, Google contacts, etc.

This is just a mess.

So what do you all do to keep track of so much bullshit?

I use LastPass to manage all of my PERSONAL logins and shit, and that works just fine. I also sync my bookmarks with my Google account via Chrome (side note: I've always been apalled at the idea of allowing Google to manage my shit. But the time came when I just said fuck it, and now I am consolidating a LOT of my shit to Google services, and it has really helped, especially with the newest Chrome browser and the apps, syncing, and pinned tabs!), and use DropBox for a few personal files, like details on my servers and just some random pics of GF's and shit.

Aside from that personal setup, I really don't know what to do here. I look forward to some input!

For your time, I've uploaded a few of the wallpapers I have on hand to share :)

Untitled - Minus

Look through the gallery, when you want to save a pic in full size just click the 'Share' button underneath, copy the 'Image Link' and open that in a new tab for the full size image.

Some of the wallpapers he linked to have boobs. I like this one:

jbvHru.jpg

Anyway, what I'd do, mate, is sign up for TeamworkPM to help manage your projects.

As for your accounts, look into Keepass. I use it to keep track of my client's logins as well as my own. I also use DropBox for all my files and what not and keep an encrypted text file of all their server info and logins in there just for a record after I pass it off the them when the project is complete (Keepass lets me login without needing to remember the pass).

As for your SEO tracking, look into SEscout. Backlinkgurus here on WF made it and it's an awesome product. It saves me a ton of time during the week, where I was spending hours fetching reports in Market Samurai.

As for the actual locations of your backlinking, you're probably going to need to setup an Excel spreadsheet that works for you. I personally keep a directory in my client's folder that is just for SEO. It will contain a folder for accounts, so I can store my SENuke files or whatever in it, then a folder for link-wheels. That will contain text files of all the URLs for specific keywords that link back to my money site, etc.

The main thing is that you keep it organized, so do what works for you.

no boobs, no answer
Basecamp is your friend- beyond that, major tits or gtfo.
You boob tricked us :(
Sorry guys... I should have inserted a boob pic IN the post. My bad on that. I uploaded like a dozen wallpapers to a gallery for you guys to peruse through, just check the link in the OP. Some of them have T and V, I promise! I would never use the boobs icon without supplying boobs!

Anyway, what I'd do, mate, is sign up for TeamworkPM to help manage your projects.

As for your accounts, look into Keepass. I use it to keep track of my client's logins as well as my own. I also use DropBox for all my files and what not and keep an encrypted text file of all their server info and logins in there just for a record after I pass it off the them when the project is complete (Keepass lets me login without needing to remember the pass).

As for your SEO tracking, look into SEscout. Backlinkgurus here on WF made it and it's an awesome product. It saves me a ton of time during the week, where I was spending hours fetching reports in Market Samurai.

As for the actual locations of your backlinking, you're probably going to need to setup an Excel spreadsheet that works for you. I personally keep a directory in my client's folder that is just for SEO. It will contain a folder for accounts, so I can store my SENuke files or whatever in it, then a folder for link-wheels. That will contain text files of all the URLs for specific keywords that link back to my money site, etc.

The main thing is that you keep it organized, so do what works for you.

I just had a look at SE Scout and that looks pretty promising, so I'll sign up for that and see how the free version treats me and if I like it I'll upgrade, so thanks for that.

As for everything else...
The problem I'm having with logins/pass/URL's is that I already have hundreds of them for myself, and it just gets overwhelming when I start to add others into the mix!
For instance: When I go to one of my two cPanels, I have 11 logins that pop up, including my WHM login.

I mean, I suppose if I sat down and re-structured my Login format to make them more specific and added notes and whatnot to their entries in LastPass I would be alright, but the problem arises when I can't remember which server hosts which site, and shit like that.

Also, when I need to give a client any account info, it becomes a complete pain in the ass, because certain logins are stored here, some are stored there, etc.

Not to mention the total clusterfuck this creates when I have to update/change login details/passwords for certain things.

Maybe I just need a good old Excel sheet for each client, could anyone recommend any good Excel templates that they use for anything from login/server details, to tracking links, etc?

And finally, TeamworkPM seems to be a lot like Basecamp (but I can't say for sure as I've never used either), but it is my impression that tools like this are more for managing projects between multiple parties... Is that right?

If so, that isn't something I need at this point as I am doing everything solo right now, but in the near future when I start to outsource more they will probably become much more useful to me.

Until then, I am just trying to figure out the best way to keep track of all the BS I do, while still keeping the task of keeping information updated and consolidated somewhat straightforward and simple.

Thanks for the ideas, and I'll keep checking back for other responses.

To manage and organize a pile of accounts try Keepass. On top of all of that, its a encrypted password manager. Its also free.

And boobs icon means boobs in the post. PERIOD!

Sorry guys... I should have inserted a boob pic IN the post. My bad on that. I uploaded like a dozen wallpapers to a gallery for you guys to peruse through, just check the link in the OP. Some of them have T and V, I promise! I would never use the boobs icon without supplying boobs!

I just had a look at SE Scout and that looks pretty promising, so I'll sign up for that and see how the free version treats me and if I like it I'll upgrade, so thanks for that.

As for everything else...
The problem I'm having with logins/pass/URL's is that I already have hundreds of them for myself, and it just gets overwhelming when I start to add others into the mix!
For instance: When I go to one of my two cPanels, I have 11 logins that pop up, including my WHM login.

I mean, I suppose if I sat down and re-structured my Login format to make them more specific and added notes and whatnot to their entries in LastPass I would be alright, but the problem arises when I can't remember which server hosts which site, and shit like that.

Also, when I need to give a client any account info, it becomes a complete pain in the ass, because certain logins are stored here, some are stored there, etc.

Not to mention the total clusterfuck this creates when I have to update/change login details/passwords for certain things.

Maybe I just need a good old Excel sheet for each client, could anyone recommend any good Excel templates that they use for anything from login/server details, to tracking links, etc?

And finally, TeamworkPM seems to be a lot like Basecamp (but I can't say for sure as I've never used either), but it is my impression that tools like this are more for managing projects between multiple parties... Is that right?

If so, that isn't something I need at this point as I am doing everything solo right now, but in the near future when I start to outsource more they will probably become much more useful to me.

Until then, I am just trying to figure out the best way to keep track of all the BS I do, while still keeping the task of keeping information updated and consolidated somewhat straightforward and simple.

Thanks for the ideas, and I'll keep checking back for other responses.
Dude, nice tits.

But I think you're overcomplicating your life massively.

Here's what works for me (and mad props to Rexibit for great answers as well ;-)):

Client Folder > project subfolder (if you do several for the same guy)

Simple text file with all the server info, cpanel URL, passwords, DB logins, etc. Use textpad or another so you can have clickable links. Name it info.txt

Spreadsheet for everything else.

The key here is to keep EVERYTHING pertaining to THAT client in one folder > subfolders arrangement. When you go to work on their shit, open the folder, and voila- it's all at your fingertips.

But MOST important is to get into a routine, and do it religiously. When you change something, reflect that immediately on the info.txt or in the spreadsheet.

And Basecamp (or TeamworkPM) is IDEAL for one-man bands like yourself. When you run a TeamworkPM report, save it immediately to the client folder in "Reports", and also upload it to basecamp, which will trigger an automatic email to the client- then you have delivered, and it's off your desk. If you go with BC, you can also track time spent for billing- not sure about TWPM. See how that works? Best money I ever spent, but you gotta USE IT. Like Religion.

Hope that helps, bro.

Oh, and THIS:
...And boobs icon means boobs in the post. PERIOD!

I understand.

What I do with Keepass is get URL specific. If I'm having issues with the URL, I'll then get Window specific (which just pops up passwords for auto type based on the window title). You might try something similar with Lastpass.

One thing you might try if LastPass has it is making a profile for each type of account. I have all my logins in Keepass sorted by sublevels of different types. It makes it super easy to find what I want - and I use the search if I can't.

Another thing is that you can have different "profiles" in Keepass, so if you really wanted to limit who sees what account information, you just load up a new profile. It would also allow easy passing of file information between multiple people if they shared logins on a network or something similar.

The key here is to keep EVERYTHING pertaining to THAT client in one folder > subfolders arrangement. When you go to work on their shit, open the folder, and voila- it's all at your fingertips.

Exactly. It's why I love DropBox. I have all my Clients (each in a subfolder) in a single folder and even made it a shortcut to it in my quick folders on the left. Inside that, I have everything that I do for them in a folder sorted by type: seo, website, document-records (where I store invoices, login info, pdf pass, etc.), etc.

But MOST important is to get into a routine, and do it religiously. When you change something, reflect that immediately on the info.txt or in the spreadsheet.

And Basecamp (or TeamworkPM) is IDEAL for one-man bands like yourself. When you run a TeamworkPM report, save it immediately to the client folder in "Reports", and also upload it to basecamp, which will trigger an automatic email to the client- then you have delivered, and it's off your desk. If you go with BC, you can also track time spent for billing- not sure about TWPM. See how that works? Best money I ever spent, but you gotta USE IT. Like Religion.

Hope that helps, bro.

The above is very true.

Yeah, TWPM has a time logging feature and will make a simple invoice based on it. I don't use it as much as I should, though.

The only qualm I have with TWPM is that everything has to be in a task list, you can't just make a single task without making a list first. Other than that, it has a lot of the features of Basecamp that you'd have to buy an addon for, which is why I use it.

You can probably find a 25% off coupon somewhere. I did a month ago when I had a PayPal issue that wouldn't renew my last subscription that was at 20% off so I had my subscription canceled and had to start a new one. I forget which blog I got the coupon off of, but it was something music related that was just for that blog's readers.

Dude, nice tits.

But I think you're overcomplicating your life massively.

Here's what works for me (and mad props to Rexibit for great answers as well ;-)):

Client Folder > project subfolder (if you do several for the same guy)

Simple text file with all the server info, cpanel URL, passwords, DB logins, etc. Use textpad or another so you can have clickable links. Name it info.txt

Spreadsheet for everything else.

Hope that helps, bro.

Oh, and THIS:

Well shit, it appears I was wrong about Basecamp! lol
I think I need to go take another look at it.

As for the folders, I think that's what I'll do. I'll spend a few minutes right now and brainstorm my folder structure so I can easily duplicate it and keep things consistent.

I'll put everything in sub-folders, and even include a folder for things like Evernote files in Client > Project > Evernote

I guess that would work well once it's all in place and I get all my info in there and get it all organized.

I'll just do it all within my DropBox folder to make sure it's all safe, and I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info on Basecamp dude, it sounds like it could make a big dent in fixing the one thing I am fucking TERRIBLE at. Letting people know when shit is done. lol

Also, still looking for any Excel templates if anyone has any. I can make em myself, but it never hurts to ask. :)

Dont charge per hour/dont bill clients per hour. Charge by monthly contracts. I do 6 months min. (no reason not to do 12 month really) Get less clients. More high paying clients.

No reason not to make 100,000+/year with 10 clients only which shouldnt be a headache.

Once you reach that, go rent a small office and hire someone to do all that tedious work and grind.

Just wanted to throw that out. But yeah, a basic CRM or Basecamp (I use ActivCollab and I love it, search for it) and a couple of nice firefox addons will do all of that for you.

One thing you might try if LastPass has it is making a profile for each type of account. I have all my logins in Keepass sorted by sublevels of different types. It makes it super easy to find what I want - and I use the search if I can't.

Another thing is that you can have different "profiles" in Keepass, so if you really wanted to limit who sees what account information, you just load up a new profile. It would also allow easy passing of file information between multiple people if they shared logins on a network or something similar.

OP You can do both "grouping" sites into folders and creating "identities" with access to only the logins you select with Lastpass, so you can just have visible what applies to the client you are currently working on. Just search the user manual with the terms I quoted to see how if you're not sure.

Dont charge per hour/dont bill clients per hour. Charge by monthly contracts. I do 6 months min. (no reason not to do 12 month really) Get less clients. More high paying clients.

No reason not to make 100,000+/year with 10 clients only which shouldnt be a headache.

Once you reach that, go rent a small office and hire someone to do all that tedious work and grind.

Just wanted to throw that out. But yeah, a basic CRM or Basecamp (I use ActivCollab and I love it, search for it) and a couple of nice firefox addons will do all of that for you.

It feels good to hear someone else say this. I've recently attributed a lot of my failure to the fact that I go after the smaller and easier to approach businesses, which means I end up under-charging, over-delivering, and having nothing to show for in the long run.

I'm trying to focus on medium-sized businesses now, and do exactly what you said. That is my goal, and you just reinforced that for me, so thanks :)

I'll look into ActivCollab as well.

OP, i love ur avatar

A C A B

Thanks, and I agree 'ACAB'

A lot of great suggestions here, but I'll throw in my own anyway...

Basecamp - I've been on both ends of Basecamp projects, and in my experience they just annoy the hell out of managers on the client side, but are great for the employees (can see their tasks, CYA notes...). Don't rely on it too much, email/phone is still king when talking to upper management and they sign the checks.

Freshbooks - Should simplify the hell out of your payment and your clients will appreciate the professionalism. Some other competitors but I've never bothered looking elsewhere.

Subversion - Not sure if you have a development background at all, but Subversion is incredibly useful in my work. Each client/project gets a folder, all the work gets put in there. Backups are a cinch, and full versioning has saved my ass many times. Easy to sync to multiple computers, especially if you use a hosted subversion (in which case don't forget to full backup weekly). Assembla has a free plan that includes SSL, 100mb, and is otherwise cheap. Beanstalkapp has some nifty auto deployment options (SFTP uploads, webhooks).

Truecrypt - There are plenty of password keepers out there, but I've always gone right back to plain txt files under heavy encryption. I keep a very small Truecrypt volume in Subversion, and throw passwords in there. Stuff like root passwords get their own volume.

RavenTools - Pretty slick reporting tool for SEO efforts, integrates into GA, has link monitoring, competitor monitoring, etc.. Simple for your outsourcers to add their work to, plugin for social media account user/passes. Clients are generally a big fan, seems pretty popular among seo agencies and I'm sure reviewed on WF somewhere too.