I Need a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatmasta

Jan 7, 2007
NYC
So, I need a laptop for boarding school next year. I don't want anything too expensive (read: apple), but I want it mostly to do a lot of schoolwork on.

If it came bundled with office 07, that would be super cool. Not a requirement though, I like openoffice. :D I'd also like it to be powerful enough to have dreamweaver open on so I can do some developing with it. I will need room for my 10-20gb music collection, too.

Obviously it needs to have built in wifi. Also, since I'll be taking it to different buildings during free periods, I'd like around 4+ hours of battery life, although bringing the plug with me probably wouldn't be too much trouble. I guess I can live with vista. I don't have it on my desktop, but I'm willing to get it if it comes with the laptop. XP (pro) is fine too, though. I don't think I'll reformat it when I get it if it already comes with Office 07. If not, then I probably will heh.

This comes out to wanting I'd say....1G RAM, 80gb HDD, 2.something processor.

What laptops do you recommend? I want to keep the price under $1500 probably, and it would be very good if it's under $1000.

EDIT: Price can be closer to $1500-2000

I will, when I want to buy it. I just need to find what I want first.

Btw, newegg > tiger. :D

depending on what you're looking for if you want the strongest most secure and reliable laptop on the market buy a IBM T60. If you're looking for frills it's not a good choice. But if you want reliability it's the only option.

The Asus G1 Is really nice. Check it out on Newegg:

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G1-AK024C NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7200(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 2GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 - Retail

It's a little more than you're looking for, but I'm sure you can find a good deal on it. Also, this sucker will last you a long time. If you're going to keep vista, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting 2gb of RAM, which this laptop has. But, I would just install kubuntu linux on it, and watch it fly. There's not a thing you can't d in linux that you can on windows, and often times you can do it better. And if there's a windows program (like dreamweaver) you're attached to, use WINE (windows emulator). I personally run dreamweaver on my linux laptop through wine. But the whole linux thing is a completely different topic, that's just my $0.2 I guess.

Good luck :)

dude..

I just got a new laptop for 599 at best buy last week. Toshiba sattellite, 160 gig HD, 1 gig ram, expandable to 2.. bluetooth and wifi built in.. AMAZING.

Go to best buy, or buy it from them online, this is the one i got but it was cheaper in the store.

BestBuy.com - Search Results

Don't buy a laptop from TigerDirect! I worked for them and I would not recommend them.

If your are interested in a laptop like that, check out Dell 1505 model or HP Pavillion models. I purchased a HP dv 6000 model back in November and I love it. Just need to add more memory now. Buy its great.

Can't go wrong with Dell. if there's one thing they do right, it's laptops. Yeah i heard some shit about exploding batteries, but they probably fixed that by now.

Get something small. I cant stress that to you more. Thats why your getting a LAPTOP.

Pimp the shit out of it. Wait another 3 months to buy it to get more money. Because once you buy it, your stuck with those specs for a while.

Also, buy an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Now you have a desktop in a laptop form.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS look at the screen before buying it. Some screens come with a grainy shadow overlay on them which makes it hard on the eyes (mine has it, it kinda looks like the multicolor grainy reflectiveness you see on street signs). Opt for a glossy screen.. alllways.

Check that dead pixel policy, too.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53
Genuine Windows® XP Home

15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display Glossy

1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm

Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Integrated Audio

No Office or extended battery, the better battery is like $50 more so the total comes to around $600

Since it is school, my mom is going to buy it, and she just told me that close to $2k is alright. That's what I'm talkin' bout baby. :D

I don't know about dell, just on principle...do they really have a good track record for laptops?

Bandit, that asus looks nice. I'll look into it. Anyone else have experience with an asus?

krazyjosh, that's no problem. I'll have a desktop in my dorm I can hook it up to - this is just for mobility.

Thanks guys

Dell's are for shit, if you travel with them they break A LOT. Stats are just a very basic baseline and mean little in my opinion. When it comes to a laptop it's about the resolution of the screen and durability. If you just want the cheap with the best stats, stick with you're desktop because that's what you're going to end up with if you buy that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.