I got Owned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeXplode

Feb 27, 2009
I'm a newbie to the affiliate marketing. I've been in the web business for a couple years now and can build any kind of website you want in a day, so I decided to jump into affiliate marketing to see what I can do because I felt pretty confident about knowing how to market a website and what keywords to use for getting people to the site.

Here's where I went wrong. Obviously there's a ton to know about affiliate marketing... I don't think I'm using tracking correctly, I'm not getting any conversion, and I just feel lost.

I signed up with a CPA company who pushed Government Grants saying the EPC was $2-$4.

I spent $425 in three days to make $54 on a government grants campaign. My website is www.reviewgovgrants.com

I cancelled my google ad campaign cause I was losing a ton of money vs. making any money.

Can any of you guys tell me where I'm going wrong? I've got a lot to learn.

Your site has no hook. Once I jumped on, I wanted to jump right off. I also want to kick that guy's ass. I had my speakers on full blast. lol

I won't get into the exact LP, but what I will say is that "EPC" for the networks is not really "EPC" for affiliates. At least not if you're using a landing page. They only see what happens AFTER the user clicks through.

So let's say we've got a few different LPs. (for the sake of this example, a clickthrough is someone that goes to your landing page and clicks to the offer).
Let's also say this pretend offer pays out $30.00.
LP 1

• 50% clickthrough, 10% conversion
  • Network sees $3.00 EPC
  • Real EPC with clickthrough factored in: (0.5*0.1)*30=(0.05)*30=EPC of $1.50
LP 2

• 75% clickthrough, 7% conversion
  • Network sees $2.10 EPC
  • Real epc with clickthrough factored in: (0.75*0.07)(30) = $1.57 EPC
LP 3

• 30% clickthrough, 15% conversion
  • Network sees an epc of $4.50
  • Real epc with clickthrough factored in: (0.30 * 0.15) (30)= $1.35 EPC
See?
Don't gauge yourself by the networks numbers. Those can help tell you if it's converting decently, but not the numbers to truly expect.

Yeah I understand completely. Their EPC is determined on who actually clicks through to their site. So if someone jumped on my landing page and didn't click to their site the EPC is a lot lower because they're going off how many people on their page converted.

Well I just found wickedfire today so hopefully I can learn. It looks like there's some good money to be made in affiliate marketing.

Tweak your landing page. Put in some fresh content and throw another few dozen clicks at it. Focus on CTR from your LP to the merchant's. The better those numbers are, the better chances you have to convert at the merchant's page.

Don't spend another $425, spend another $30, check your CTR, if it sucks, then tweak your LP again. Rinse, repeat.

Stop trying to think of creative and original landing page ideas and rip someone's "Kevin's Grants Blog", your EPC will skyrocket.

I would put a short paragraph before the reviews explaining what your site is about and what you offer them. Landing on a site with no headline or information on what it is makes me want to leave.

The talking guy is annoying. I wonder how many people listen to how many click stop on it immediately?

Maybe make your click through button stand out a little more. Unless they actually read the whole review and come to the button it gets kind of lost.

talk about benefits and play on the emotions more. try to put yourself in the shoes of a person that wants a grant.

ex. paragraph starts...
"imagine hiring skilled employees and buying new state of the art equipment for your business without worries." etc.
"if you have a great business idea, you are half way there. The following grant writing companies will get you the rest of the way by getting you the money you need to think big in business." etc.

Push dating offers, it converts well.

1. post youtube videos with teens dancing on webcam, strong call to action at the end "free dating websites, check out bahbahbah.com
2. presell page or direct link

I'm a newbie to the affiliate marketing. I've been in the web business for a couple years now and can build any kind of website you want in a day, so I decided to jump into affiliate marketing to see what I can do because I felt pretty confident about knowing how to market a website and what keywords to use for getting people to the site.

Here's where I went wrong. Obviously there's a ton to know about affiliate marketing... I don't think I'm using tracking correctly, I'm not getting any conversion, and I just feel lost.

I signed up with a CPA company who pushed Government Grants saying the EPC was $2-$4.

I spent $425 in three days to make $54 on a government grants campaign. My website is www.reviewgovgrants.com

I cancelled my google ad campaign cause I was losing a ton of money vs. making any money.

Wow, EPC $2-4? That is a lot.

Besides the fact that you made an exact duplicate of grantmecash?

Status
Not open for further replies.