Hydra Network must be smoking crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KunkVentures

Jul 11, 2007
A friend recommended I check out Hydra Network.

I go to sign up and the captcha is impossible. Even when it seems so simple and clear I type it in exactly as I see it, it never works.

Then I try the audio verification that plays an audio file of the captcha being spoken.

Listen to the audio file they give me

http://api-secure.recaptcha.net/ima...XsmtGXdzKdlolwNUOBUi14yENsjKV741RPnId39zD3QIC

Am I crazy or is Hydra fucking on crack?

This is pathetic.

:error:

Captchas suck. So many programmers are too retarded and fail to make it easily readable by humans so you end up guessing. I hate those things...

There is absolutely no reason for an affiliate network to run a CAPTCHA on their registration form.. honestly, who is going to automate account creation there? Even if they did have a motive, it really is not that hard (manual entry with the rest automated).

CJ's captcha doesn't seem to display in Firefox. Had to switch over to IE.

There is absolutely no reason for an affiliate network to run a CAPTCHA on their registration form.. honestly, who is going to automate account creation there? Even if they did have a motive, it really is not that hard (manual entry with the rest automated).
This is true, but the vast majority of affiliate networks have proved that they are tone deaf to the technology side of their business. I can't think of any web-centric niche with as much money flowing through it that has exhibited as little advancement over the years. Using LinkShare, for example, in 2000 feels just like using LinkShare in 2008. Azoogle's redesign was widely heralded by everyone as a fantastic leap backward. There's no industry-wide effort to codify the way things are done or develop standards. Many large shops still use DirectTrack which is a steaming pile of shit. Most shops still don't offer simple things like complete RSS offer feeds or APIs to retrieve and interact with content at a more intelligent level (I'll give props to a little network called affnet there who does do this). A number of places have even made oddball moves like encrypting Do Not Mail lists and requiring you to compare hashes or even asking you to upload your list to dedupe it. Sure, you get the occasional bone tossed your way by a network, but for the most part everyone is lacking in at least some innovation if not lacking innovation altogether.

The entire industry has figured out how to do just enough to make money and has decided to stop there and relax and publishers and advertisers alike have no real recourse. That doesn't even get into the topic of the direction the industry is headed. While the networks continue to get acquired, publishers and advertisers start getting shat upon on the business side as well as the same networks fire their competent staff (particularly AMs who have the highest salaries because they do the best job), cut back on or eliminate benefit programs like referral commissions, add more and more hoops to jump through handed down from the parent company or investors and generally become a pain in the ass to work with. These days one of the more important strategic goals I end up pondering is figuring out who the next up and coming network is so you can redirect traffic when one of your current networks gets corporate-ized and turns shit-tastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.