How to Recruit Advertisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortunePlaza

Jul 21, 2008
Hello,

Within the next several months, my team plans to have an affiliate network launched. We just have one concern; we don't want to be a bottom tier network. We want to deal directly with the advertiser. How would we go about recruiting advertisers? Such as big brand name one's; like Block Buster, Singles Net, Best Buy, PetCo and so on.

Much appreciated for the help.

That is not an easy thing to do, because you have to build a name for you Affiliate Network. How many publishers could you guarantee for you big clients? What kind numbers would do you have? And if you showed them that, why your Affiliate Network is better than the Affiliate Network they are right now.. maybe CJ or LinkShare?

If you can give all this details to them. And you think you can convince them. Go to their websites, send them an e-mail, to talk with the Marketing Manager or Director. Plan a meeting.

There is no secret stuff to it.. you just have to show them that you are better than any other one of your competitors. And then show them results. They won't exchange their Affiliate Networks for another one that can't show them the same results.

That is not an easy thing to do, because you have to build a name for you Affiliate Network. How many publishers could you guarantee for you big clients? What kind numbers would do you have? And if you showed them that, why your Affiliate Network is better than the Affiliate Network they are right now.. maybe CJ or LinkShare?

If you can give all this details to them. And you think you can convince them. Go to their websites, send them an e-mail, to talk with the Marketing Manager or Director. Plan a meeting.

There is no secret stuff to it.. you just have to show them that you are better than any other one of your competitors. And then show them results. They won't exchange their Affiliate Networks for another one that can't show them the same results.

What if I am not looking for them to exchange, just to expand.

There marketing has a budget. What he saids is true either way. Why should they split there budget and or expand it for you? What makes your network better then ones there working with now?

We got boobies. Is that good enough?

Its good enough for me, but unfortunately I am not a big time advertiser. What the guys said above is good advice. Meet with them (and by them, I mean the decision makers), and show them why it benefits THEM to join you. SELL your network.

FFS read some marketing books.

Really it's a classic chicken or the egg scenario. Without big pubs you can't get good offers and payouts. Without good payouts and offers you can get big pubs.

So what do you do? You run personal traffic I'd say. You know that's high quality and if you're good you can get a lot of it. That's your best way to go. Now if you don't know how to get a lot of good high quality traffic that works I think you shouldn't be starting a network.

The other way would be try and get pubs first but you better have something very high quality to offer them if your offers suck.

I'm hoping your an affiliate and have been for a long time. If so ask yourself the very question what would it take me to move from network A to another network?

1. Network A messes up some how
2. Better conversions
3. Offers that network A doesn't have or can't get
4. They have some really shitty traffic they don't want to run to their main network
5. You have something to offer that other networks or the network they're working with doesn't

I'd say it's a very tough proposition. People think owning a network is easy. I can tell you first hand it's far from easy. I work 18 hours a day keeping a very fragile echo-system working well. And I'm just a small little network.

With regards to what someone mentioned above. Most advertisers have an allotted amount to spend per quarter on advertising and media buys. Some like True.com use that up and are maxed out on what they can take. There's a lot of advertisers like this. So when you say expand it's more a matter of better quality for a lower price. With a limited budget.

Thank you smaxor, I greatly appreciate your response. I will take great note of everything you mentioned. I have been an affiliate for quite a look time, and truly believe that I have the sufficient knowledge in developing a prosperous affiliate network. I am quite positive that it won't be facile; I am ready to work hard. I have already recruited about a dozen employees for the networ, in hopes that it will ease the overall potiental work load.

Status
Not open for further replies.