How To Monetize Firefox Add-on Downloads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

assi9

Homegrown Hydro
Mar 26, 2008
Missing...
Today i was searching for a cool Firefox add-on and I noticed that a lot of the popular add-ons are downloaded 6-30,000 X a week. I've got a good idea for an add-on, just not sure how I would monetize it.

Anyone have any good ideas as how to monetize it? I'd love to hear them

You can ask for a donation w/ a popup once a month, or have the request in the config section of the plugin or download page. You can also get people to fill out affiliate offers before being allowed to download the plugin (or after they've downloaded).

I don't know if your allowed to do this with a plugin or not. But like when you update firefox it opens up a new window with whats new and stuff. Maybe you could open a window that says thank you with an affiliate offer or something.

build up your download count, create new features (in the "gold" edition) offer it exclusivly to your user base for free, AFTER, they fill out your Incentivized offers :rasta:

Whatever way you go about it it has to be subtle. The typical firefox user are a little more computer savvy then the typical explorer type....in general. So, you don't want something that they're going to be put-off by so that they never use/delete the add-on.

What thesilly1 said is a really good point.
Everyone I know that uses FF is pretty savvy. You're going to have to be able to offer something that other plugins don't, or have functionality that's better.

Actually, you know what hasn't been updated for FF 3 yet? SEOpen.
That was a REALLY useful plugin, and it doesn't work in FF3.
I'm thinking a lot of people in AM would be willing to pay for a new version of that. Maybe add Quantcast and some sort of automation for other things like social bookmarking.
A sort of all in one SEO plugin.

or load it with spyware. :D

Yes! Thats it! I will infuse it with useless spyware and Zango which will dramatically reduce my downloads ;future user retention & violate The Fox's TOS.

Fucking brilliant!

On a serious note, I'd like to thank every one else for contributing useful ideas.

Pack it with Zango! MUAHAHHA!

hahaha I'd fucking load it with Zango if I wasen't looking for any long term income or if the plugin isn't going to be around for very long, or if your name isn't anywhere near it, ect.., ect.., ect...

Zango is the easiest shit to profit on just as long as it stays far away from your real shit.

Its kind of like the new Adsense, well depending on how you spin it.

The problem is that those addons on the mozilla site only get that many downloads because they are on it. Mozilla certainly isn't going to let you make users pay for addons from their website.

You could do what noscript does and have the plugin open a tab to their ad-stuffed page each time the plugin is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.