How to monetize a farm supplies site

leadingent

Aug 19, 2010
I have a site that is targeted to poultry farmers. I'm getting roughly 600 visitors a month. I had Adsense on it, and making close to $1 a day. I wanted to up that up, so I took out Adsense and added an Amazon widget showing related products. After a week, I haven't got any sales and only 3 clicks to the Amazon widget.

Any ideas on how to monetize this site? love to hear your input.

-with amazon don't expect any sales till like 50-100 clicks
-see what kind of offers are being displayed with adsense and just run them yourself

Here are some Clickbank chicken coop offers

How To Build A Chicken Coop - Backyard Plans - pays out $19.99 per sale
ChickenDIYguides.com - pays out $25.56 per sale
Build a Chicken Coop in 3 Days - BuildaChickenCoopin3Days.com - pays out $27.34 per sale
How to Raise Backyard Pet Chickens | Chicken Coop Plans | ChickenKit.com - pays out $17.98 per sale
Self Sufficiency Guides for living a more Self Sufficient Life | Self Sufficient Living - pays out $4.37 per sale
How To Build A Chicken Coop - pays out $17.89 per sale (this one’s video)
Chicken Coop Plans - pays out $4.37 per sale

Might be a good time to sell them like half a billion eggs or something...sorry I couldn't resist.

-see what kind of offers are being displayed with adsense and just run them yourself

Build a Chicken Coop in 3 Days - BuildaChickenCoopin3Days.com - pays out $27.34 per sale
How to Raise Backyard Pet Chickens | Chicken Coop Plans | ChickenKit.com - pays out $17.98 per sale
Self Sufficiency Guides for living a more Self Sufficient Life | Self Sufficient Living - pays out $4.37 per sale

Thanks for your input. I wanted to steer away from the 'how to build a chicken coop' because most farmers I'm targeting are already veterans at raising chickens. They are mostly looking for feeders and things like that.

Your idea of running the offers myself sounds good, but I don't have a good affiliate program to rely on. Affiliate programs on this type of market are limited to Amazon or eBay. Any ideas?

start collecting some data.

then push some green products solar/wind shite.

I really don't know. what kind of ads was being shown via adsense? Go to offervault and type in farm shite...

1. 600 visits to your site is not a lot. this site is not a cash cow. unless you intend to grow your traffic dramatically, be happy if it makes you $100/month and MOVE ON.

2. Are your visitors coming to your site for stuff like "tips," "advice," "tutorials," etc.
These kinds of visitors are notoriously hard to monetize. If nothing else, you should build out pages optimized for specific high ticket items in that niche, put amazon adsense on them, because people looking for specific products are more likely to actually want to purchase something than people looking for "tips."

3. Find some ecommerce sites that supply this niche and see if you can get a drop shipping agreement with them. Maybe you can be an affiliate store front for them.

4. Build a list and send them really valuable shit so you build credibility with them. 1 out of 4 posts, recommend a "miracle product" and recommend them to pick it up. Don't sell too hard. Tell them about your experience in the newsletter, and if you want to give them a really hard sell, link them to your sales letter from your newsletter.

All things considered, throw something up that makes a few bucks and move onto another keyword niche with more motivated visitors. 600 visitors doesn't mean shit. There's a huge difference between 600 women who come to a jewlery store to ogle shit that they want hubby to buy them for their b-day and 600 women who look at a stop sign because its big, red and gets in their way.

Not all traffic is equally valuable. Learn this and don't fool yourself.

If you have low value traffic, don't try to turn a turd into a candy cane, just go get better quality traffic.

If you have the time, make an eBook about the evils of Monsanto with some special "info they don't want you to know" bullshit. Farmers will eat that shit up.

Lol. We were talking about cause marketing in class last week and the entire time I was thinking about how Monsanto can't even do damage control with how shady they are.

To the OP:

TSC Affiliate Program

2 week cookie it appears, this would appeal to tons of farmers

PetSmart has an affiliate program, but that may be more consumer oriented.

Besides those, maybe hardware Lowes/Home Depot type offers?

1. Analyze your traffic and see how long are people saying and how many times they are clicking. That tell you a lot about the quality of the traffic. A free getclicky account will tell you more about this than Google Analytics.

2. Consider putting up advertising banner space around it and selling those for x amt per month - $5 a month. Increase your price as traffic increases. Use openx to manage this.

3. What is on the site? Forum ? blog posts? Makes a big difference too.

I know a farmer that was tired of working 70+ hour weeks and started working from home then made the local news.

You think a poultry farmer is not going to know how to build a chicken coop?

Using this site as a basis: USFR on AgWeb.com (because I guessed that farmers listen to the Farm Report)

I went to Quancast, and got this as the site Demographics:

lzrmb.jpg

So this is an older, white, audience with some money. They don't have any kids living with them, and over 60% are college educated. The farm report is almost evenly split male/female, but your site may be different.

Think.

Maybe they might be concerned with retirement? They're at the age. They may be worried about the government taking what they made because of "death taxes". Is your audience teabaggers? The demographics fit right in.

If I were you, I would focus on selling high ticket, guru products - like Frank Kern stuff. While the audience as a whole might have money, they may also be concerned how they're going to make it through retirement.... that's where the "make money online" stuff comes in. If you've ever seen a Guru seminar, the audience is made up primarily of older people.

Gold might also be good for this audience. Mail Order Bride sites might work for the males on your site.

You can probably make some dough out of that site if you're creative enough.

Using this site as a basis: USFR on AgWeb.com (because I guessed that farmers listen to the Farm Report)

I went to Quancast, and got this as the site Demographics:

lzrmb.jpg

So this is an older, white, audience with some money. They don't have any kids living with them, and over 60% are college educated. The farm report is almost evenly split male/female, but your site may be different.

Think.

Maybe they might be concerned with retirement? They're at the age. They may be worried about the government taking what they made because of "death taxes". Is your audience teabaggers? The demographics fit right in.

If I were you, I would focus on selling high ticket, guru products - like Frank Kern stuff. While the audience as a whole might have money, they may also be concerned how they're going to make it through retirement.... that's where the "make money online" stuff comes in. If you've ever seen a Guru seminar, the audience is made up primarily of older people.

Gold might also be good for this audience. Mail Order Bride sites might work for the males on your site.

You can probably make some dough out of that site if you're creative enough.

ding ding ding dign ding.

creative mortgage offers (refi the farm, you'll need to find someone likely in the commercial space for this or at least talk before you slam non-traditional loan leads down soeoen's throat and they nix you for 'quality' (when it really just doesn't fit w/a traditional mortgage client for a single-family dwelling).

Reverse mortgage?

Life insurance?

AUTO PURCHASE / AUTO FINANCE quotes- make sure the landing pages focus on all heavy duty trucks.

Run a quiz path - "Ford vs. Chevy".

Cummins vs. Allison.

etc

As Patrick said, get banner ads for companies(feed, fencing, drugs, magazines, predator control(gun ads, calls, dogs, trappers). If they don't have banners or an online site, maybe make them one and charge them. Forum was mentioned too-they will post the content and you post the banners.