How to Manage Large Amounts of Redirects?

wheinrome

Nov 20, 2006
We are distributing some print material to our customers and due to the layout we are forced to use short urls. We purchased a short url domain like bit.ly for this purpose however the redirected links may change after time and we don't want the print material to be obsolete as soon as it's published.

Is their a short url generator that has a redirect management tool as well? I see a lot of these short url generating scripts available but I don't see where you can go in and update the destination url if/when needed at a later date.

We just need this for internal purposes only. Customers will not be accessing the tool.

if you have control of the short domain, why not change the redirect as and when needed?

I use tracking202 with yourls. Basically I set up a subdomain for 202 like tracking.bit.ly ... then on the main domain I setup yourls.

To add a link I've just run an imacro that sets up 202 campaign/link first then runs it through the shortener and I end up with something like bit.ly/myKeyword ... destination urls can be changed easily in 202 ... with 202, you also get the normal tracking benefits and postback pixel stuff to help scaling.

Thanks guys for the help. I should of mentioned that I plan on giving the URL maintenance tasks to a individual that has a limited set of technical abilities so yourls looks like the perfect solution:

Simple admin interface
Set private vs public
Can edit existing URLS
Analytics

Will probably modify the script to scan for 404 links and notify via email so they can go in and update the links when needed.