How to know if niche is too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

May 14, 2007
For my first blog / affiliate / arbi site, I specifically picked something I thought many would not go after.

Now after using the keyword search tool, I am worried it will have too little traffic.

The main phrase only shows 15751 per month on overture

That general rule of thumb is bullshit!

I have a very small network of sites up around one niche, less than 20,000 per month for the primary KW, each and every SMALL content site I have around that niche banks about $5 a day which isnt bad when your talking run of the mill 1 to 2 days from start to finish WH sites. You have to remember that your going to rank for other keywords besides your main KW, for example "my Cock" might get 40,000 searches per month where as "my cock in your mouth" might get 10,000 per month and "my cock in your girlfriends ass" might get 9,000 and so on. You will never build a site and only get traffic for a narrow keyword, in fact as hard as you try usually its the other way around.

number of searches is not relevent. Think number of searches times revenue per unique. Think of it as a sliding scale, the less you can earn per unique the more potential niche traffic you want to be available.

What is the main phrase about? If it is about adjustable beds where the commissions are hundreds of dollars.. then that is better than something like "stupid funny videos" were there is very little money since it is usually young/old people without a credit card, using the internets to see people make stupid.

50,000 :error: . Even if you do ppc, you could still do kw's that have 5000 a month and still make decent money, just get more kw's. For my sites I don't care about searches, I just look to see how heavy the competition in the serps. The kw I go after usually have between 2,000-17,000 searches per month on overture, with the competition having between 1000-4000 backlinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.