How to be a Reseller with zero risk?

Comfis

Nov 15, 2008
Hello

I am not sure this is the right section but i think affiliate marketing is the closest to reselling.

I am running a site for 10 months now and during the last 2 months i received 4 mails about buying specific devices. The cost for such devices is at $XXXXX .. till the last email i was just giving our visitors the link for the companies that sell these devices and that's all. But now i am thinking that i could probably make some profit from this situation.

So i contacted many of companies that sell these devices asking for some kind of cooperation. One of them answered immediately.. they ask me to be a reseller (they don't have an affiliate program).

The thing is i don't know whether they are a decent company (their website has a pretty bad alexa, zero PR etc) or not. How can i make sure that they will do send the device after i send them payment? Besides, if the device doesn't work properly whose responsibility is it?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

PS: The specific device is not a scam, it is a widely used device and the profit from selling only one could be $3-4k

Product selling system

Hello

I am not sure this is the right section but i think affiliate marketing is the closest to reselling.

I am running a site for 10 months now and during the last 2 months i received 4 mails about buying specific devices. The cost for such devices is at $XXXXX .. till the last email i was just giving our visitors the link for the companies that sell these devices and that's all. But now i am thinking that i could probably make some profit from this situation.

So i contacted many of companies that sell these devices asking for some kind of cooperation. One of them answered immediately.. they ask me to be a reseller (they don't have an affiliate program).

The thing is i don't know whether they are a decent company (their website has a pretty bad alexa, zero PR etc) or not. How can i make sure that they will do send the device after i send them payment? Besides, if the device doesn't work properly whose responsibility is it?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

PS: The specific device is not a scam, it is a widely used device and the profit from selling only one could be $3-4k

I think you should start affiliate marketing on affiliate forum. This will increase your product selling if you can promote them successfully. If you know how to promote product on forum it will be good but if you don't then you should hire a contractor/freelancer for this. You can do in on odesk, freelancer, etc. Hope it will help to increase your product.

Ask if you could be on credit? So you get the buyer to pay first before you get to pay the company?
What i want to know is how can i make sure (if there is any way to do that) that the company will deliver the device to the buyer and how what happens if the device is not working ok?? am i responsible or the seller company?

Why don't they have an affiliate program built? Ask one of the IM experts here to set everything up. Make % on that too!

Pay with a credit card, demand a tracking number. If you don't get a tracking number just charge back on the credit card.

finally the company agreed in giving us a decent amount in case i bring them in contact with the buyer IF the sale is done, with no other responsibilities on my side.. but unfortunately the sale wasn't completed - or they just lie :O

maybe try dropshipping?

this. Take the money from the customer, then have the manufacturer ship it directly to the customer and pay them their cut of the money.

problem solved. 0 risk because you don't have any inventory and you don't spend any money until an order is placed.

I would be less worried about that and more worried about service / warranty.
If this product runs a good $10K the customer will definitely be expecting local and good support. Depending on where you're located, you might very well be lawfully obligated to provided warranty support (and perhaps even additional support for up to 7 years).

Are you up to handling this? If the product breaks down and you cannot provide support, you'll need to send it to the manufacturer for repair. You'll need to come up with some kind of working agreement with them and determine who pays for shipping etc.

As for making sure the supplier delivers - if they're reputable and have a good product that may stand on its own. Otherwise the payment method can play an important role in guaranteeing you receive it. Paypal provides a certain degree of security even for deals done outside of Ebay. It may be worthwhile to perform the initial deals through that until you have a working relationship.