How safe is Rapidshare

It's easier for media companies to get the IPs of downloaders with torrents, as the tracker will give them to anyone. I hear Rapidshare is run by democrats though.

I would just go through a proxy and keep torrenting. It's not like the trackers are going to actually try that hard at finding your real IP.

Rapidshare doesn't do searches of their files, and you have to pay if you want any kind of worthwhile bandwidth from them. So you rely a lot more on people who can provide links to to the good downloads and of course the links can frequently get removed when reported. So as a downloader its actually pretty safe but can cost you, but as an uploader its gona be much easier for someone to track you if they want to go that far.

It's something like 10-15 euros a month last time I checked for premium access, and when I did have a forum with lots of fresh links I absolutely loved it. Now I just use Revolution Torrent Tracker, since if you're that paranoid helps to use an actual private tracker (ie: TPB, Demonoid, etc are not private trackers). Course private/members-only trackers are quite it bit more strict on up/down ratio, course with RTT you can always donate $$$ to pop your ratio back up :D

By the way, has anyone actually ever seen an actual lawsuit won against any torrent downloader and such, last I checked all MPAA and RIAA 'suits' never made it to the courtroom and had always been settled. Sounds mostly like scare to me, especially since the way they "catch" you is because they seed fake rips of the movies themselves, so that doesn't hold up in court very well if they're enticing you to come and get it. And people from MPAA uploading fake rips wouldn't happen on an actual private tracker but happens a lot on places like TPB.

I would just go through a proxy and keep torrenting. It's not like the trackers are going to actually try that hard at finding your real IP.

The trackers themselves don't have to do anything just open up any torrent client and you can see the IPs of all your peers on the list.

23mld0y.png

I actually know a guy that claims back in the big limewire days he was paid to insert hidden files into albums, programs, etc. When we would dl and install/unzip a message would be sent back to the company letting them know you had downloaded their stuff. I always thought he was full of shit but later on I met a guy who claimed he was doing 6 months of community service on the side of the freeways picking up trash because he had been downloading music off of limewire. Not sure if either of these two were telling the truth, but it still made me think a little bit more about all the torrents I download.

I actually know a guy that claims back in the big limewire days he was paid to insert hidden files into albums, programs, etc. When we would dl and install/unzip a message would be sent back to the company letting them know you had downloaded their stuff. I always thought he was full of shit but later on I met a guy who claimed he was doing 6 months of community service on the side of the freeways picking up trash because he had been downloading music off of limewire. Not sure if either of these two were telling the truth, but it still made me think a little bit more about all the torrents I download.

They couldn't legally sue or press charges if they were the ones providing the files to be distributed. Which is probably why you'll never actually find a court case with a final ruling on it in such kind of situation.

By the way, has anyone actually ever seen an actual lawsuit won against any torrent downloader and such, last I checked all MPAA and RIAA 'suits' never made it to the courtroom and had always been settled. Sounds mostly like scare to me, especially since the way they "catch" you is because they seed fake rips of the movies themselves, so that doesn't hold up in court very well if they're enticing you to come and get it. And people from MPAA uploading fake rips wouldn't happen on an actual private tracker but happens a lot on places like TPB.

There was that one woman who was supposed to pay $1.9 million, or $80,000 per song she had downloaded. I don't see how they could ever get that money from her though. Just some single mother I think.

Rapidshare was in the crosshairs of the MPAA, but they've since compromised and have begun removing content flagged as DMCA violations, and redirecting users who attempt to download flagged content to the "rapidshare store", where you can download the same content for a price. This appears to have appeased the MPAA dogs who are now eyeing USEnet (check their press releases). To this date they have yet to pursue any individual rapidshare downloaders. And it is unlikely they will do so, as the MPAA and RIAA have announced they have ceased to pursue downloaders due to the negative press such lawsuits generate. Instead, they're going after the actual distribution sites and mass uploaders instead. If you aren't one of those, you're fine. If you don't feel comfortable purchasing a rapidshare account, I encourage you to head over to BST and search for h3llscr3am's rapidshare shop. $25 for a 1 year RS premium account, you can't go wrong, and RS will never know your personal payment info. Therefore, in order for the MPAA to go after you, they will need to subpoena RS for your IP and THEN subpoena your ISP for your real address. The chances of this happening, if you are a simple downloader, are absolutely zero. In conclusion: rapidshare is safe, rapidshare is cheap. Go with it. Or be 1337 like me and have t3h ftp 0day grp dumpz axx!!!