how often do you guys change your pots and pans?

EvilPenguin

May 4, 2012
Cali
I just noticed that most of my pots and pans have a scratched surface and I noticed in my omelet today that there was some black grainy things in it (before I put any spices) and I'm wondering if that could be pieces of metal from the pan.. I'm scared now cuz I realize I've had these pans for a long time. What do you guys think? Any serious health risks here? Do your pots and pans look like this? Do you change them on a regular basis?

I know this is somewhat unrelated but I know that a lot of you guys are health-consicous, so why the fuck not right?

sND2E.png

scratches.png

pan1.jpg

wtf? Do you only throw the milk out when it grows fur as well?

1. That pan should have been replaced after the first major scratch.
2. Buy decent pans with thicker coating (or even better, don't use non-stick and learn to cook)
3. Learn to take care of them. I keep pans for several years without a single mark on them.

Non-stick coating is not something you want to be eating.

wtf? Do you only throw the milk out when it grows fur as well?

2. Buy decent pans with thicker coating (or even better, don't use non-stick and learn to cook)

Non-stick coating is not something you want to be eating.

This - learn to cook using real pots and pans

Dude, there's a reason there are wooden spatulas.

Lol, this reminded me of this old joke you've probably already heard:
Mother comes to visit her son, the next day she asks him:
- Son, what was that awful black stuff cooked onto all of your pans, I spent hours scrubbing it off.

- Teflon.

I just noticed that most of my pots and pans have a scratched surface and I noticed in my omelet today that there was some black grainy things in it (before I put any spices) and I'm wondering if that could be pieces of metal from the pan.. I'm scared now cuz I realize I've had these pans for a long time. What do you guys think? Any serious health risks here? Do your pots and pans look like this? Do you change them on a regular basis?

I know this is somewhat unrelated but I know that a lot of you guys are health-consicous, so why the fuck not right?

You're well on your way to Alzheimer's with all the toxic shit your food is leaching from these pans.

Try these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/FancyCook-Piece-Enameled-Cookware-Summer/dp/B0012YS3RU/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1349210150&sr=8-24&keywords=Porcelain+Ceramic+Non-Stick+Cookware+Set]FancyCook 13 Piece Enameled Cast Iron Red Cookware Set. Summer Super Sale!: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame] Porcelain Enamel interior, requires no seasoning.

Trollthread or not I'll give my opinion on the topic since my girlfriend is paranoid about this stuff and has to buy a new pan every 2-3 months: In Asia I've seen people use the oldest, rustiest, scratchiest pans/woks/pots and they still have the lowest cancer rates in the world... #WhitePeoplesProblems

Honestly though, no one is gonna avoid cancer so might as well stop freaking out and start living. We have Mercury fillings in our mouths, cellphone and radio waves crossing our brains 24/7, we're breathing dirty air filled with nasty shit, we're stressed out like never before. Grab a beer, roll a joint and hope that our scientists will find a cure before we have to check out...

One part of me wants to think this is not real, but so many people depend on non stick cookware because it's super easy to use and convenient. Why learn how to use a real pan AMIRITE?! 90%+ of people probably use the stuff wrong and it should come with big old warnings all over the package.

Op if those are your pans, then like others I'm horrified. You've ate a bit of teflon, which isn't something you want to eat.

If you go back to teflon, then make sure to get some plastic or wooden utensils.

alzheimers patients often have higher than normal concentrations of aluminum in the brain. would not recommend using scraped up aluminum pans

You guys are scaring me though... I don't even use metal spatulas that often, I mostly use wooden ones but somehow the pans still scratch. I tried those made of cast iron but the omelets fucking stick and I lose half of my omelet in there.