How much traffic before moving from Shared -> VPS -> Dedicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgordo

Oct 6, 2007
So, I have a couple of sites running off of individual shared hosting plans; each with less than 500 uniques a day. I have them all hitting the same SQL database (on a different plan). Performance seems OK- peak times it can drag a tiny bit. No rich media on any sites.

I also have a VPS for one of my larger sites, but it hasn't reached my ambitious traffic goals yet. Performance is great.

What rule of thumb do you folks follow for traffic numbers between Shared, VPS, and Dedicated?

I don't want to overkill with the hosting, but I also want a snappy site. And am a bit clueless as to what the norms are for each tier of hosting.

It's more about profit than traffic.

If a site is making a killing, it gets moved 1st for maximum performance ... even if the server is an overkill.

Also, there is nothing wrong with sharing a base model vps with several profitable sites but make sure you'll be ok with the dedicated packages the company offers for an easy transition. Upgrading from vps -> dedi is only a matter of time if your sites continue growing.

Depending on the efficiency of your script, server specs and overselling; your average shared hosting should be able to handle XXXX daily visits. A decent VPS can handle approach 10-20k, anything over that get a dedicated.

Got it-

So traffic-wise, shared should be good in to the 1000s of visits. Money-wise, move to VPS for more profitable sites.

I've been thinking about moving the shared to a dedicated VPS, but it'd be a huge fucking pain (SSL, payment processing, automated emails, etc). But the shared sites dwarf my VPS site in profitability.

Fack.

It's more about profit than traffic.

If a site is making a killing, it gets moved 1st for maximum performance ... even if the server is an overkill.

Also, there is nothing wrong with sharing a base model vps with several profitable sites but make sure you'll be ok with the dedicated packages the company offers for an easy transition. Upgrading from vps -> dedi is only a matter of time if your sites continue growing.

Depending on the efficiency of your script, server specs and overselling; your average shared hosting should be able to handle XXXX daily visits. A decent VPS can handle approach 10-20k, anything over that get a dedicated.

you saying 10-20k pageviews or unique visitors?

i just recently moved my site getting about 5k uniques and 20k+ pageviews to a vps at liquidweb. very happy with it.

I've been thinking about moving the shared to a dedicated VPS, but it'd be a huge fucking pain (SSL, payment processing, automated emails, etc).

That's why I suggest making sure your vps company offers dedicated packages you can live with ... this way transfers are no sweat.

you saying 10-20k pageviews or unique visitors?

UVs ... But of course, this changes a bit if you have each visitor hitting 200 pages a day. But the same could be said if each visitor downloads a 10MB video on each page load or pushes hundreds of sqls.

The numbers are rough estimates and you should evaluate each site separately. I'm just saying, get your money sites off of shared servers to keep them fast and online .. that's what's important

Status
Not open for further replies.