How many still pay for images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo999

Dec 29, 2007
Hi, I'm planning to create a site that is mainly image based, but I don't think I will pay for those images though. I'll just scrape them from google images. At most I will just include references and remove them if someone complains. I worry about the legal issues and I'm curious to know how many of you are still paying for your images. thank you.

Sorry for the noobness, but I wonder how do they find out if the images on your site are legally purchased or if they're stolen. I understand that if a person has an original image on his site, then he would know that it's been stolen if he sees it elsewhere. But there are so many copies of the same images on the internet, how can someone tell if each is legally purchased or not? I apologize if this is a stupid question to some.

Interesting, so everyone here really pay for their images. I would think there is a good amount of people who don't. I guess I'll just have to take another route then since I don't have much money to invest on images. I'm a broke college student trying pay the bills through IM. So far I've create one content site and one phpbay site in my signature. No sales yet.

I have been given C&Ds several times over images that my forum members have used on their profiles etc. Trust me they have hi-tech scanning software which can and will fish out the offenders.

Use SXC.hu - personally I find it perfect.

I also swear by sxc.hu. There's another thing you can do - you can use the Yahoo! image search API to get a list of images from the web, that correspond to a search phrase. What I do on one of my sites is generate "related images" this way, and simply hotlink to the thumbnails on Yahoo's server. You can then also provide a link to the actual image's URL etc. etc. The gist of it is that you're dynamically generating this image list, and you are providing a reference to the original source, so you are not perpetrating any copyright infringement. You, as a human, are totally removed from the process.

If you're going to do something like that make sure you apply some simple filter to them and remove the meta data. There is attorney's that actually have scrapers. And what they do is checksum images or check the meta data for an image. Then they just scrape all sites looking for matches for their clients. Once they find one you'll get a letter saying you need to pay $10,000 to them for the violation of copyright. It's almost easier now a days to use something like istock unless you take all the recautions.

How do websites like icanhascheezburger.com and cuteoverload.com get away with all their image crap?

photos.com ftw....my last job had a subscription that they renew every year yet I still have the login/pass so basically I get all my stock images for free. woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.