how many clicks in a campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solokkhz

Oct 3, 2008
Hi,

when you testing a campaign
after how many clicks with no ROI you decide it doesn't it and close the campaign?

It's not that cut and dry. You don't just "close" campaigns just because they're giving you no joy right out of the gate. You tweak them.

yes, i know
but what is the break point?
when you decide that enough is enough?

i want a number

isn't there some guideline or your individual result?

100? 200? 400?

edit:
let's add some more variables to that question

let's say i am split testing and my ctr is more than 1% on all ad groups, but their are no sales, when should i decide that it's not profitable?

listen to cliqz...

depends on a ton of things..most importantly i'd say the offer + payout. if it pays $1.00 or pays $100.00 theres a big difference, no? are you direct linking? how many adgroups/keywords? any of them getting conversions?

if you haven't learned by now there is nothing cut & dry about this stuff..don't try to go by the 'book' (or at least someone elses book) - find out what works and what doesn't from experience and testing...

i want a number

100? 200? 400?

edit:

let's say i am split testing and my ctr is more than 1% on all ad groups, but their are no sales, when should i decide that it's not profitable?

If you're getting no sales, its already not profitable. How much have you spent so far? How much are you willing to lose?

If you're ROI positive, ramp it up. If you're ROI negative, and you're sick of losing money, cut it. A lot depends on the campaign and the type of numbers you might expect to see. If you're just barely profitable, you might be able to make a few adjustments and turn it into very profitable.
Each campaign is different/each offer is different.

when should i decide that it's not profitable?

1. Log into your network and retrieve your earnings (write it down)
2. Log into your adwords account and retrieve your total amount spent (write it down)
3. Obtain Calculator.
4. Type in your earnings (the figure you got from step 1), click the minus button, then type in your ad spend (the figure you got from step 2), hit the equal sign.
5. If the amount showing on your calculator is a negative number then that means it's not profitable.

i want a number

100? 200? 400?

edit:

I would say at least 1,000 clicks. That would be enough for a complete split test. 500 clicks to A & 500 clicks to B.

Now that is just ONE split test, mind you. You could test this headline vs. that one. Video vs. Text. This call to action vs. that one. This layout vs. that one, etc..... There is certainly no shortage of things to test out.

Now you may be paying for shit keywords, costing you those 1,000 clicks. Instead of thinking "how many clicks"... you should put yourself in your visitors shoes and judge that way.

Move on if it just doesn't stick.... simple.

listen to cliqz...

depends on a ton of things..most importantly i'd say the offer + payout. if it pays $1.00 or pays $100.00 theres a big difference, no? are you direct linking? how many adgroups/keywords? any of them getting conversions?

if you haven't learned by now there is nothing cut & dry about this stuff..don't try to go by the 'book' (or at least someone elses book) - find out what works and what doesn't from experience and testing...

i had one sale with 200 clicks my ctr is a charm and clicks price is reasonable
i have a landing page

3 ad groups with 300-400 keywords in all three

I like to do it based on the ad spend, not the total clicks, because clicks can be arbitrary. I personally like to spend the amount of the payout on clicks per keyword. So if your payout is $10, and you've spent $10 in clicks for a single keyword, then pause that keyword if it hasn't converted for you yet. If it's an offer that you absolutely know can work, you can up that to 2x the payout, but it depends on your budget and tolerance for pain.

Not saying it's the best, it's just what I've done.

Usually when you are getting clicks are not getting sales, its because the consumer is just browsing and comparing.

Which means either your landing page needs to be tweaked or you are just in a very competitive market.

I would just hold the campaign for now.

I like to do it based on the ad spend, not the total clicks, because clicks can be arbitrary. I personally like to spend the amount of the payout on clicks per keyword. So if your payout is $10, and you've spent $10 in clicks for a single keyword, then pause that keyword if it hasn't converted for you yet. If it's an offer that you absolutely know can work, you can up that to 2x the payout, but it depends on your budget and tolerance for pain.

Not saying it's the best, it's just what I've done.

Yep. The 2x rule is what I do for keyword level stuff as well.

As some of the other posters have already pointed out though, it's not as simple as giving a number of when it's time to shut down. There are a lot of variables at play. How much you're willing to spend in test is a big one. How many other untapped GOOD ideas you have to make it work better is certainly another. I think knowing "when to say when" comes with experience, and there isn't anything on WickedFire, or on any other forum, or in any e-book that is going to legitimately quantify that for you.

Me personally, I'm relentless when it comes to promoting a new offer. I think it comes from working on the merchant side for so long, where when something doesn't work you aren't afforded the luxury of swapping it out. There isn't a choice but to make it work. That can be a good thing and a bad thing.

My personal process is pretty simple. Pick an offer I think can be a winner, create LPs and initial campaign strategy. Get as much cheap traffic as possible to make good assumptions about what the performance is going to look like. CTR from the landing page to the offer if a LP is involved, CTR & split testing on the ads, offer conversion etc. Optimize, optimize, optimize and then get creative and then optimize some more. Swap out comparable offers if I feel like I have the other stuff as right as I can get it.

At that point, it's just a "gut" call. If I feel like I have a winner, I keep pushing, scaling and working on new ideas to increase volume and profitability. If I don't, I cut my losses and move on to the next thing.

Everyone is different, but I think it's a better approach to really exhaust all resources before moving on (within reason). If you don't get in the habit of trying to do that and are constantly offer swapping you are more than likely leaving money on the table. Also, as a side effect in my opinion...this process makes you a better marketer and makes you more intuitive about what's going to work vs. not.

My 2 Cents...

times 2 rule per test for me or 378.537 clicks if you want me to be more exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.