How easy is it to get banned from AdWords/AdSense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage Z

Enormous Member
Jan 25, 2007
I've done some white hat work, and now I want to play around with some pretty vanilla black hat tactics, just to see what I can pull off. For the moment, I'm sticking to 7search -> adsense arbitrage, but I don't want to screw myself out of my AdWords cash cow by getting banned. So my question is, if I get banned from AdSense, will I get banned from AdWords? And how easy is to to get banned? If they catch me arbitraging, is that it, or will I just get hit by QS/smart pricing?

I've done some white hat work, and now I want to play around with some pretty vanilla black hat tactics, just to see what I can pull off. For the moment, I'm sticking to 7search -> adsense arbitrage, but I don't want to screw myself out of my AdWords cash cow by getting banned. So my question is, if I get banned from AdSense, will I get banned from AdWords? And how easy is to to get banned? If they catch me arbitraging, is that it, or will I just get hit by QS/smart pricing?

Getting the boot from Adsense shouldn't technically hurt your Adwords account. You're paying them, and they're making money, right?? Everyone's happy. But, just to play it safe, you should run your Adsense and Adwords using different accounts for both because you never know what bullshit policy google will come up with next.

You also asked, how easy is to to get banned? Well, that depends on what you're doing and how popular your site is. As far as Adsense is concerned, if your site isn't too well trafficked, you can probably get away with violating more of google's TOS on a regular basis. But since you're using arbi your risk is probably doubled.

Bottom line: if you're violating google's (albeit bullshit) TOS, you WILL eventually get banned and all your earnings are out the window.

I'd say that if you are VERY new to Adsense, don't fuck around too much. Especially if you've never been paid by them before. They seem to really scrutinize accounts right before the first payment is due to the publisher in order to weed out the vast majority of stupid people blatantly clicking their own ads, etc. However, if you've been a good little publisher getting steady checks (hopefully increasing each month) and you've been flying under the radar, you will probably have more freedom to play around.

I'm really scared that Google will decide to ban me this month. I ended last month with $95+ in my adsense account (making $2-$3/day) and I've never been paid before....

I say your chances are just as likely to get banned for being white hat as for being black hat.

:) I am serious.

Getting a few accounts is the key. It's mind boggling how much power google has over those who depend on them for income, which is why everyone has to think of other ways to monetize your site.

I personally wouldn't mind if Adsense banned me - they are horrible in my opinion - I will never understand how all of my analyzing programs say X number of impression and Adsense says maybe 1/10 of that amount.

But as far as being banned - I ran a security news and "education" purpose site for exploits about two years ago under adsense and never got banned, but I had tons of disclaimers about it being for education purposes

I'd say that if you are VERY new to Adsense, don't fuck around too much. Especially if you've never been paid by them before. They seem to really scrutinize accounts right before the first payment is due to the publisher in order to weed out the vast majority of stupid people blatantly clicking their own ads, etc. However, if you've been a good little publisher getting steady checks (hopefully increasing each month) and you've been flying under the radar, you will probably have more freedom to play around.

chuckt is absolutely right, listen to this advice.

get your first cheques and move on from there. once you got a green flag from google, you can start to slowly increase traffic and make more money.

by then, you might even have handled some keywords, around which you may eventually decide to built a whole site.this could be your starting point to do affiliate marketing.

i have never seen arbi as a sustainable business model anyways, at least until your are not amongst the top 25 doing this business.

Makes sense... I'll do some innocuous shit for a couple of months, and see where things are once I have some history built up.

If you really want to try some black hat tactics, you could register for other [SIZE=-1]contextual advertising companies such as Chitika, BidClix, Clicksor, or any others and keep your adsense account for your white hat sites.[/SIZE]

This way if you do get banned, you still have your adsense account clean! :)

Sounds good... the reason I was into 7search -> adsense was that I figured the clicks would bring more money on AS... time for me to start researching KW prices. :)

Didn't google officially state (on one of Shoemoney's shows) that arbitrage was okay as long as you met their content guidelines? I doubt you could get banned for doing skillful arbi within their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.