How do Affiliate Cookies Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karnul

Lurker Since 2006
Jul 18, 2006
If a visitor clicks through my site to a store but doesn't buy, they have a cookie for 30 or 45 days, or whatever the terms are.

What if they visit another affiliate in that time and get to the same store?

Who gets credit?

Usually the last affiliate link that the vsitors clicks on will overwrite all previous cookies (if they are in the same affiliate program).

Rob_TID said:
Usually the last affiliate link that the vsitors clicks on will overwrite all previous cookies (if they are in the same affiliate program).

That is correct. Also take note that some networks or programs may place your cookie for less than the 30 days. This is another factor you have to consider when choosing the network you want to work with.

This is techically possible but I don't know if anyone is doing it. It is possible to read if a cookie already exists and then don't overwrite that one, so it would be the first cookie set by the first affiliate that counts, because it won't get overwriten.

Yes, that is an option for many affiliate softare packages, but not many people use it like that.

It also makes sense (in most cases) that the last affiliate's cookie would override the original one because it's the last affiliate who is actually doing the successful pre-sell - and therefore he/she should be the one getting credit for the sale.

another question!

how about those cleaner or optimization software on our desktop? e.g. CCleaner, these stuff clears everything, including browser cookies. is that going to be a problem??

if our targets are tech savvy people, surely most of em have something like this on their PCs. i know i do...

Of course it's a problem. If someone uses it when he has your cookie and then buys the product, you won't get any commision. Well, I seldom clear any cookies, they keep me logged in to places ;)

It used to be and maybe still is on some networks that is theres more then one nobody gets credit. Lifetime cookies are the way to go anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.