House of Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read it about two months ago.

You are right, it is an amazing book.

::emp::

What's the genre?

It's really a modern stylized mystery-detective/horror novel. Really graphic, very cool, 2 stories rolled up in one, and the pages/chapters are stylized to pull you into the insanity of the psychotic realm the story exists in.

ok that was my own attempt at a review from a book I read years ago (when I was heavy into drugs)

LOL... 2 stories?

The book just keeps adding layer upon layer upon layer.

Great stuff, but quite experimental at times and not a leaisurely read, you'll either getting pretty involved with the book or put it down.

Actually.. wow. WHen I read House of Leaves, I thought I would never find anyone who would like it. Actually, cause it is quite supremely geeky (read Actual footnotes you have to read to get the story, Reviews / Critiques used as plot and plot devices, etc..)

If all that does not scare you, and you love to get involved with a book go get it, you will love it. Actually spent about a week inside the house whenever I could.

That sounds right up my alley! and perfect timing, I just finished my last book.

Looks like I"ll be making a trip to Barnes and Noble today...

Actually.. wow. WHen I read House of Leaves, I thought I would never find anyone who would like it. Actually, cause it is quite supremely geeky (read Actual footnotes you have to read to get the story, Reviews / Critiques used as plot and plot devices, etc..)

If all that does not scare you, and you love to get involved with a book go get it, you will love it. Actually spent about a week inside the house whenever I could.

You definitely have to read it a few times to understand everything, I've got it sitting right next to me and it's a great book.

Found it at the online Barnez and Noblez, however the pages were in jpeg format - perhaps to maintain the typography effects. Search for it here if anyone is interested.

House of Leaves is one of the best 1st novels of the last 10 years, I think. In fact, I think it's the only book to ever give me nightmares as an adult. Really, really fantastic -- a meta-meta ultra-PoMo tour de force.

It's like a (Don DeLillo + Thomas Pynchon + Alfred Hitchcock + ASCII art) enema...
I've heard his 2nd full-length novel was a real letdown though...

I've read it multiple times in the past five years, ridiculously awesome book. You really do need to read it a few times to get it, but there's nothing beating the first time through; the suspense and story are amazing, but the way the structure messes with your perceptions is just unreal.

Now I'm torn between buying a new book or reading HoL again. Ack.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on this book, but the one line that still fucks me up (even after several readings) is....

"He might have spent all night drinking had exhaustion not caught up with me". It's on page 320. Is Zampano implying he is Tom? But that would be impossible because of what happens to Tom later. I just don't get that line. Maybe Truant added that to Zampano's text. I have no idea.

I still haven't figured out that line, but I will. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.