Hosting Addons

Jaguar7

Mar 19, 2013
Hello peoples,

Do you recommend getting any of the hosting addons? Or are they bs.

- Domain Privacy Protection: Privacy protection hides your personal contact information from public view.

- Sitelock: Protect your website with daily scans for security vulnerabilities, malware, identity theft and more with SiteLock. Display the SiteLock Secure Seal on your website to show your visitors your website is safe!

- SEO Jumpstart

- Gomobi

These are the addons hostgator provides.

Also, has anyone ever had any success with Godaddy backorder? Or is that another scam.

I haven't used Godaddy backorder but namejet and pool aren't bad if you're trying to catch a dropping domain.

Hostgator addons are bullshit. Your registrar (namecheap, godaddy) should either have given you free whois privacy or sell it for a dollar or two.

Just privacy. I think it's free with Godaddy if you buy 5+ domains at a time? Or use Namecheap and get privacy for free.

- Domain Privacy Protection: Privacy protection hides your personal contact information from public view.
Take just this one, the others are BS.

Even if you have extremely stupid customers, don't buy that Sitelock add-on. You can make them feel just as safe with a FREE Sitelock banner.

No need for any of the add-ons and you should be buying your domains through a domain registrar like Namecheap, name.com or godaddy (if you must), which is where you would add domain privacy.

This. Domain WHOIS privacy addons are important, but never reg your domain through a web host to begin with.

Separation of domain and host for the same reason as separation of church and state.

As far as godaddy backorder, I used it three times without success - and the domains weren't anything special. I was able to get 1 of the 3 for only $50 just by emailing the owner.

Godaddy backorder is crap, you'll have much better luck with NameJet or Snapnames

I have had 10 backorders with godaddy, none was successful

godaddy backorders won't even catch a domain registered at Godaddy. Save your money.

Thanks for the info about GoDaddy backorder. I'm thinking of trying it as I saw a lot of domain names that are interesting.

Back to topic... The only addon I buy always is Privacy, nothing more. Backup and site lock can be done through other third-party apps or services easily that are more flexible.