HostGator: cPanel Security Hole Exploited in Mass Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzmo

Jun 24, 2006
HostGator says hackers compromised its servers using a previously unknown security hole in cPanel, the control panel software that is widely used by hosting providers. "I can tell you with all accuracy that this is definitely due to a cPanel exploit that provides root access and all cPanel servers are affected," said HostGator system administrator Tim Greer. "This issue affects all versions of cPanel, from what I can tell, from years ago to the current releases, including Stable, Release, Current and Edge."

Source: http://news.netcraft.com/

Was anyone from wickedfire hit by this attack?

yeah all my sites were down, they kept saying refresh the cache and it was a cpanel update problem which it wasn't. They finally realised the error and did well to fix it.

I think they could have dealt with the problem a lot better.

hmm, I just registered a new reseller package with HostGator the day of the attack. At least they're honest about attacks unlike Site5.

Sad thing is, some of my sites will be exploited by this bug cause no one is replying at one of the hosts I use - a week already darnnit. Am gonna be shifting everything to dotable.com and sleep a bit nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.