Home Automation

darbsllim

Mar 28, 2008
London, Ontario
Hey, do any of you have any cool home automation setup in your houses?

I'm building a new house, and I really want to put in some cool features & gadgets.

I'd love some input.

I really want a nice shower in the ensuite, a sweet home office & a workout room.

Start here
Smarthome - Home Automation, X10, Remote Control, Lighting, Wireless Security
www.homeauto.com
Home Automation - The most complete guide to home automation information on the web
Smarthome Forum

There are a ton more. Look for a system that integrates your ha with your security. Have a central location (closet) where your server, network, cable/satellite, security are located. Run your feeds from the one room. Look into AV setup where you can control and view sources from one room in another. Integrate web cams with motion activated pc recording. Have copies sent to an ftp site if cameras are triggered while security is armed.

The things you can do are staggering.

Hire some help:
Josef_Fritzl_280_477364a.jpg

First thing I would do is wire it for a generator so all you have to do is flip a breaker. I ran dedicated 20A circuits for all my audio and video gear. Also installed surge-protected outlets for anything with an expensive circuit board (oven, washer/dryer). I ran broadband coax and cat5 to every room and any potential entertainment area. I've got a little server closet to house any automation/networking products - can't all be wireless. Can't wait to sift through this mess:

4728wires.jpg

Build a secret panic room and take pics.

Did that too. Have a closet that's going to have a secret entrance to a space below the stairs to the basement. Going to bolt a safe to the foundation and maybe make a backlit shelf for my fleshlight and penis candle collection:

7128closet.jpg

3 easy steps to automating your house.

Step one: Have 4 kids close together.

Step two: Wait 10 to 14 years.

Step three: One kid turns the t.v. on for you, while vacuuming. The other mows the lawn. The other does the dishes.

3 easy steps to automating your house.

Step one: Have 4 kids close together.

Step two: Wait 10 to 14 years.

Step three: One kid turns the t.v. on for you, while vacuuming. The other mows the lawn. The other does the dishes.

Dare I ask what does the 4th do?

I work for a company that uses visual (i.e. touch panels) control systems for audio/video setups in home theater and public venue environments. What would you like to know?

First thing I would do is wire it for a generator so all you have to do is flip a breaker. I ran dedicated 20A circuits for all my audio and video gear. Also installed surge-protected outlets for anything with an expensive circuit board (oven, washer/dryer). I ran broadband coax and cat5 to every room and any potential entertainment area. I've got a little server closet to house any automation/networking products - can't all be wireless. Can't wait to sift through this mess:

Nice room. Curious as to why you didn't you get a gen with auto cut over?

Use cat5e, not cat5. Cat5e is rated 1000mb.

Nice room. Curious as to why you didn't you get a gen with auto cut over?

I bought a nice portable 3000W Yamaha to use on the jobsite to run tools before temp power was hooked up and decided I would just use that for emergencies as well. Got the hookups for it on the far side of the attached garage so you can't even hear it when it runs. Thought it wise for the OP to consider since he's in Canada. I was considering a propane unit on a skid but thought the money would be better spent on a central A/C unit that I would probably use more.

Use cat5e, not cat5. Cat5e is rated 1000mb.

Yup, that's what we ran. Got used to just calling cat5 with my electrician.

Integrate web cams with motion activated pc recording. Have copies sent to an ftp site if cameras are triggered while security is armed.

The things you can do are staggering.

That sounds like a good plan - what's the diff between doing that or going the security camera packages with a DVR? DVR can't upload to ftp?

Build a secret panic room and take pics.

not enough space in this house for a panic room!

Although I was thinking about doing it and hiring these guys:

HiddenPassageway.com - Hidden Secret Passages, Hidden Doors, Safe Rooms, Secret Vault Doors

Hire some help:
Josef_Fritzl_280_477364a.jpg

who's the weird looking dude?

First thing I would do is wire it for a generator so all you have to do is flip a breaker.

you said you had a portable generator, what about something like this: Kohler Power: Kohler Home Generators and Residential Generators

I ran dedicated 20A circuits for all my audio and video gear.

how many amps is your box total?

Also installed surge-protected outlets for anything with an expensive circuit board (oven, washer/dryer).

was it cheaper than surge protecting the box itself?

Dare I ask what does the 4th do?

The 4th child definitely doesn't do his math.

I work for a company that uses visual (i.e. touch panels) control systems for audio/video setups in home theater and public venue environments. What would you like to know?

Do you know if there's a good solution besides Control4, Prodigy & Savant that integrate with other types of hardware/software instead of their own proprietary hardware/software?

Maybe an open ended or open source home automation solution?

Are those actually worth it?

I converted a seldom used coat closet and stuck in (and btw when I say "stuck in" - i mean I had a home theater installer install) a middle atlantic rack which houses all audio/networking/gaming/video equipment and pulls completely out of the closet and pivots for each access to the back of everything.

3 zones of audio with in-wall volume controls in the kitchen and outside - controll is done by a URC (universal remote control <brand>) MX980 remote which I highly recommend. This also controls lighting in the living room where the TV is but runs on RF so I can change anything from anywhere on my property. Handy for BBQ's

That sounds like a good plan - what's the diff between doing that or going the security camera packages with a DVR? DVR can't upload to ftp?

I think you'll have more options running it through a PC. If you can ftp the video or still captures you might have pictures of them who stole your dvr.

My dad put in whole house audio back in the 70s. We could turn on/off the stereo, change volume and tune from other rooms in the house. It was all hard wired and controlled with switches and relays. He built a circuit and hacked it into an old Sansui receiver. Pretty cool for back in the day.

My dad put in whole house audio back in the 70s. We could turn on/off the stereo, change volume and tune from other rooms in the house. It was all hard wired and controlled with switches and relays. He built a circuit and hacked it into an old Sansui receiver. Pretty cool for back in the day.

that's LEGIT

you said you had a portable generator, what about something like this: Kohler Power: Kohler Home Generators and Residential Generators

I ran dedicated 20A circuits for all my audio and video gear.

how many amps is your box total?

Also installed surge-protected outlets for anything with an expensive circuit board (oven, washer/dryer).

was it cheaper than surge protecting the box itself?

I did a 200 amp service. I bought the surge-protected outlets on eBay for $75 for a lot of 6 - never priced the box surge-protection. I may still do a Kohler or similar backup gen like you linked to some day but I am waiting until I can get my hands on an undergroud propane storage tank on the cheap - those big bottles look fugly parked up against the house. Who knows, by that time fuel cells may become more practical.