Help Me Figure out this Site's traffic

samgeneric

Jul 26, 2009
Deerfield Beach, FL
Ok, so here are the sites on quantcast:
Movieroomreviews.com Traffic and Demographic Statistics by Quantcast
Celebrity-gossip.net Traffic and Demographic Statistics by Quantcast

The first one gets 500k-700k visits per day, the second one gets 500k to sometimes over 1m per day. Both sites are shitty. The movie site reviews movies like 8 months after they come out. SEMRush says their most important ranking keyword is movie room, for which they rank between 8-10 on the first page. Celebrity-Gossip.net is even weirder. They rank for big keywords like Kim Kardashian, but mid-second page for most of them. The only big keyword they have is "celebrity gossip" which doesn't justify this traffic.

I believe that both sites participate in traffic exchanges. But the rest is just right out. I can't figure out what they're doing. It's probably not entirely legitimate but it is awesome, and it has them ranking as the 38th biggest network on Quantcast.

Anyhow, figured I'd turn to the collective powers of the internet to try to figure this one out. Have at it WF.

All that Compete indicates to me is that there is a wide traffic disparity between what is being reported by Quantcast which works through actual pixels on the website, and Compete which is pure extrapolation. Thus my assertion that it is probably not legit traffic. It is triggering quantcast's counter, but compete would indicate that it's not being used by normal web browsing people.

Without looking too hard, I assume they are ranking for 1000s of longtails.

I like using SEMRush, but their data can be off at times. I don't think they've been able to keep up with the local data refresh on Google that got pushed out after Penguin. For example, that Celebrity Gossip site is on the first page (UK) for "Kim Kardashian" and it probably is on tons of other Google sites with there being 2.7m searches global. As Gorilla said as well, they are hoovering up on thousands of longtails.

They have more traffic than tmz for sure

Ok. So that's weird. There is no chance that that site has more traffic than TMZ.

Look at these two sites alongside one another. They are in the same network. One has reviews from movies that are 3-4 months old. They have no new content. And their traffic is over 500k per day. That site, the one that has old movie reviews has as much traffic as Fandango. It is incommensurate with the reality of possible traffic.

Also, both have giant disparities on Compete.com that are more in line with where I think their traffic are relative to the industry they are in.

Anyhow, there is something uber fishy going on, and I would like to figure out what it is.