Head Unit for Car?

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
So it's been a while since I have actually bought a deck (well 5 years or so). I have had my car for a while and I don't have any amps or subs anymore.

I just got a new phone for me and my wife an iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry Bold 9900. Both have Bluetooth and I would like a HU that I can use to connect them to use the telephone and control them (answer calls, interact with SiRi, play music, change songs, etc) all from the deck.

I don't need a CD player. Just need FM and Bluetooth. These seem to be ok options. I'm sort of limited to buying from Amazon due to shipping options to my area.

Clarion CZ501
Sony DSXS300BTX
JVC KDR820BT

Just came across the Parrot ASTEROID seems like a very cool deck. Anyone else have this deck?

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a flip up screen to make controlling the iPod/songs/phone easier.

Thank in advance!

Of the ones you listed, the Parrot deck looks the most intriguing, but I haven't heard of the brand before.

Look up the Alpine iDA-X305sBT.

I've always been a fan of Pioneer, but Alpine has normally been 2nd in quality of stereos. Clarion and JVC are okay '2nd tier' manufacturers that aren't as common, but avoid Sony car stereo equipment like the plague.

Thx for ur response.

Parrot is actually a popular brand for handsfree / bluetooth products. They also are the creators of the "AR Drone" which is a quadricopter controlled by your iphone, pretty neat actually.

This is their first head unit so it naturally has some bugs but their team seems to be hashing them out according to their forums.

I will check out the other decks u mentioned. I agree alpine is 2nd to none but i hate all the bloat why the fuck does anyone need a cd player anymore. Why not just pop an ssd in there and wifi to connect to your house or icloud and download all your songs.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Ches: single din. I have a c280 mercedes and the dash can't be modified to fit 2 din while keeping the stock look which i dont really want to loose.

Personally I'd stick with Kenwood or Pioneer. I've had horrible luck with Jensen and JVC in the past. No experience with Sony's stuff. Clarion has always made a nice product but their faceplate designs and interface's suck IMO. Of course my dad has had his Clarion deck for about 10 years and it still works great.

Look at the Pioneer 8200BT. Sexy IMO.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-MVH-P8200BT-Watts-Multimedia-Receiver/dp/B0039825PS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1324395331&sr=8-18]Amazon.com: Pioneer MVH-P8200BT 4 x 50 Watts Multimedia AV Receiver: Car Electronics[/ame]

That Pioneer 8200BT just made my short list. What a nice deck. No voice commands though :(. The Parrot has voice commands but is also 2 times in price...

Ah fuck it I bought the Parrot. If I don't like it I can sell it here for double :) and get something else.