Have you heard of this Scrub method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

globefrog

Feb 6, 2009
everywhere.
Hi Everyone,

Ive recently come across some strange activity that I have narrowed down to this:

When I have a sub id that performs well for about 50 sales, the conversion dramatically drops, typically from about 4% to 1.5%, If I launch a new sub id with the same lander etc, its starts strong then drops again.

has anyone see this activity before and is it just straight out scrubbing or a script on the networks end doing it for them?

Anyone who has experienced this, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

Ive recently come across some strange activity that I have narrowed down to this:

When I have a sub id that performs well for about 50 sales, the conversion dramatically drops, typically from about 4% to 1.5%, If I launch a new sub id with the same lander etc, its starts strong then drops again.

has anyone see this activity before and is it just straight out scrubbing or a script on the networks end doing it for them?

Anyone who has experienced this, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers!
Depends. You talking about facebook traffic? With adwords/msn it shouldn't matter but if you're using facebook then both CTR & conversions dip after some time.

Hi Fatal,

It is Facebook traffic, but I am talking about controlled tests over hours (not days)

I've split test old vs new sub ID and still had the discrepancy.

Hi Fatal,

It is Facebook traffic, but I am talking about controlled tests over hours (not days)

I've split test old vs new sub ID and still had the discrepancy.
You tested old v/s new subid using same demographic with exact same ad copy, title & ad text? If yes then its possible you're being scrubbed but if you're using different ad copys / images / ad text you just cannot come to this conclusion.

^ exact everything.

I guess I am seeking to find out if anyone has seen this type of activity before, where sub id's seem to be identified and throttled.

Possible Scenario

They let it go for a while then tank your conversions so they can take the leads. They make it look good so you bump up the traffic and keep it going. Some programs even reverse shave. As an example they will credit you say 1.5 leads for every lead you get for X amount of leads, then credit you .25.

Really can tell only from more testing

Possible Scenario

They let it go for a while then tank your conversions so they can take the leads. They make it look good so you bump up the traffic and keep it going. Some programs even reverse shave. As an example they will credit you say 1.5 leads for every lead you get for X amount of leads, then credit you .25.

Interesting. Could be what is happening.

Possible Scenario

This. Very well put.

Never had a sub id problem doing that but had to make a couple accounts (AM's idea) with different publisher ids so the scrubbing wouldn't be so bad. But that is what true does do you.

Easy way to check. Make a PHP script that tacks on the date to the end of the sub ID. For example, a sub ID of "facebook1" becomes "facebook1-20090601" (if you're doing more than 50 leads/day, add an hour or something to the end of that as well). That way, you'll know whether they're specifically targeting sub IDs.

Easy way to check. Make a PHP script that tacks on the date to the end of the sub ID. For example, a sub ID of "facebook1" becomes "facebook1-20090601" (if you're doing more than 50 leads/day, add an hour or something to the end of that as well). That way, you'll know whether they're specifically targeting sub IDs.

Prop202 should do it. But i doubt that'll simply solve the problem.

You should randomize and encrypt your subid data before sending it over.

The ONLY time I will pass networks static subid info is if there is a quality concern that has the potential to be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.