Haunted Hay Ride

Dec 22, 2008
Minneapolis Minnesota
So myself and a few local buddy's of mine had this idea to do a haunted hay ride for next year.

We have 40 acres mostly wooded with trails, and already have 1 tractor on the land. There's plenty of open space for parking, enough for 150 cars or so.

So far here are a few of our ideas:

- 2 style hay rides; 1 during the day, etc. for ALL AGES; a 2nd ride at night, for 21+ only ( titled x-rated or something )

- Serve beer/wine on the actual ride itself and on premises

- Have a SEXY hostess on the ride, serving passengers beer/wine

- the 21+ ride will be titled the SCARIEST hay ride in the whole entire US, we've got some very good ideas for plots and scares in the woods

- sell concessions, hot dogs, pop, candy, t-shirts, etc.

Potential Ideas:

- Other games in addition to the hay-ride for passengers who are waiting, etc.

- Ability to pay more $ to get to the front of the line or get guaranteed spot on next ride ( some people hate waiting, and make more $ that way )

- Costume night, best costume wins ca$h

Our goal is to make as much $$$ as possible ( of course ), while providing the absolute best experience, have the scariest hay ride, etc. our customers have ever been on.

Marketing wise will be a website, running facebook ads/group, radio ads, 1 or 2 billboards and newspaper ads. We are hoping to attract a minimum of 5000 customers within a 4-6 week window, ranging from end of Sept. to early November, which we feel will be no problem. From the exact location of the land, it has a 60-mile radius population of over 500,000.

So I don't know about most of you gay webmasters but this type of thing has intrigued me on and off over the course of my life, and I'm in a financial position now where I'm comfortable to pull this type of thing off.

So feel free to throw your ideas into the ring, how would you run a successful haunted hay-ride for 4-6 weeks out of the year, how would you get more customers and make more revenue from them?

Everything is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Just make sure you are protected from any worst case scenarios.

edit: What about licensing to serve alcohol? I've looked into opening up a sports bar and I can tell you it varies by state but....
you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

Alcohol will draw the 21-35 crowd out on the weekends from the city. I should also note the location is in WI, I haven't dug deep into regs. yet but will be doing so over the next month or so to see if having on-sale liquor is viable for us.

I already have a storage-unit business and billboard on the highway in front of the property. The woods, etc. doesn't get used much.

Possible loophole to the selling alcohol rule might be to give it away? Over here, you don't need a license for that, I don't think. (and you can make up for the cost by charging a higher entry fee)

Possible loophole to the selling alcohol rule might be to give it away? Over here, you don't need a license for that, I don't think. (and you can make up for the cost by charging a higher entry fee)

I was just thinking this. Make it a "party" Charge a parking fee and check ids. And consult a lawyer.

Also watch the x rated thing. Drinking + encouraging xrated = felony assault waiting to happen = you getting the shit sued out of you because of something that some drunken frat boys thought they could get away with.

/mom peanut gallery

you could make bank off this without the hassle of worrying about alcohol

You will have to get a license to serve alcohol + you will want to cover your ass from any injuries that occur during your haunted hay ride.

To circumvent this:

I would just keep it alcohol-free and make people sign a waiver before being permitted onto the grounds (some yearly haunted house type places already do this).

I was just thinking this. Make it a "party" Charge a parking fee and check ids. And consult a lawyer.

That doesn't work. I did exactly that a few years ago - people pay a "cover" charge to get into a party, and alcohol is supplied for free. Still had to pay about 5k in legal fees when I got arrested for "selling alcohol without a license" to prove that I wasn't actually selling it. Huge waste of time and money.