Has anyone read Mark Cuban's book?

makethatgreen

The Freeway Killer
Mar 1, 2009
bewbs
I'm thinking about ordering Cuban's book "How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It"

Has anyone read it? Is it worth reading?

It's only three bucks, brah. Get it, read it and tell us

Dr. Ngo recommended it in a past thread so yes I would read it.

I got half way through O'learys book the other day. It was pretty good.

Nothing beats putting down the books and actually doing something though.

It's decent, nothing earth shattering but worth the three bucks (another ebook buyer here). As per the title it's mostly anecdotal, but he applies them to bigger themes which is the standard for most business biographies. I'd say it's more for people who already find Cuban's story and persona compelling, he's definitely a hustler in the way that most on WF like to envision themselves (regardless of whether they really are) so I could see many members digging it.

I didn't even know Cuban had a book. I've read Kevin olearys book. It's good!

Are you talking about "Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life"?

I fucking love O'leary. I imagine most people hate him because of his personality, but the dude is brilliant... the only thing that matters is return.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI]Mark Cuban Calls Out Skip Bayless - YouTube[/ame]

I've read Kevin & Roberts books and preferred Kevins. At some point I would like to read Marks book too!

Can anyone sum up a few points in these books that would make me want to actually read them?

The only word that comes to mind when I read these books is.. - FLUFF - just a bunch of motivating talk, general business philosophies, etc. No real content or step by step action. I'm not asking for an instructional manual for success, but I'm also not looking for a book of quotes when I want real business advice. I'd rather read a non-fiction or fiction book that has nothing to do with business... unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Can anyone sum up a few points in these books that would make me want to actually read them?

The only word that comes to mind when I read these books is.. - FLUFF - just a bunch of motivating talk, general business philosophies, etc. No real content or step by step action. I'm not asking for an instructional manual for success, but I'm also not looking for a book of quotes when I want real business advice. I'd rather read a non-fiction or fiction book that has nothing to do with business... unless someone can convince me otherwise?
Unless you're reading a college business class textbook pretty much all business books are like that. Entertainment with a few autobiographical lessons thrown in there. I don't think many billionaires are going to sit down and write a hardcore strategy book.

I was also considering reading it but I am reading the "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle and it is a great read.

Unless you're reading a college business class textbook pretty much all business books are like that. Entertainment with a few autobiographical lessons thrown in there. I don't think many billionaires are going to sit down and write a hardcore strategy book.

And the business you're taught in a college business class textbook is practically irrelevant if you're a small business/start-up anyway.

Much of my first year as a business undergrad was spent learning various different analysis' which no small business has the accurate data for (and if they did have that data, they were wasting money tbh in getting it).

In fact undergrad business can more or less be summed up with Black-Scholes, Porter's Five Forces, ABC Management Accounting + tons of bullshit, acronyms, "groupthink", corporate structuring and case studies on how amazing some random move a company made was. All great stuff if you have a tiny role in a massive corporation, but useless as an individual in a start-up/small business (beyond being able to interpret different types of accounts, and having some understanding of markets and how they work).

The only thing a business textbook sets you up for is a life of corporate slavery as a mid-level manager.

It could even have a bad effect on some people, by making them think within pre-defined lines and formats which just don't work for a small, rapidly growing businesses.

The best way to learn practical business skills is to start a business. No amount of reading prepares you for it.

If you want to read a good business book, read this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Lean-Startup-Entrepreneurs-Continuous/dp/0307887898/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses (9780307887894): Eric Ries: Books[/ame]

vltm57.jpg