Got an offer on a domain - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0rtal

King of the Jungle
Jul 3, 2007
Toronto
Not really in the domain biz (though I like to snatch up something cool once in a while :) ) so I'm not sure what value to put on this.

The domain is uandme.com and I've been offered $500 via Godaddy's domain buy service so it seems legit.

Personally, while I know jack shit about valuing domains I'd say it's worth about that and not much more on it's own, correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, developed, it's a very brandable name.

Created - 2000-03-07
Gets about 300+ unique views per month according to Sedo since I've parked it there.

Should I sell?

Feedback appreciated.

On the other hand, developed, it's a very brandable name.

Anything is worth a lot of money if it's developed into a large website. Google.com and Yahoo.com are worth a lot of money but I would've sold those names undeveloped for $500 a pop easily. My point is, you have an undeveloped parked page and you should value it as such. This "best case scenario" analysis of them turning the site into a $10,000,000 biz doesn't mean the domain is worth $1,000,000 (and I see it far too often on WF).

Still, 300/mo true type-in is nothing to scoff at, so good luck with the sale.

Reactions: m0rtal
500 seems like bullshit unless you're hard up for cash or just couldn't be bothered. You can sit on the domain and speculate what its truly worth or just dump it.

They offered 500; ask for 5000 and see what they say.

I was in a situation like this once. If you can, get more info on the buyer and google the shit out of them; the info you find about them might help.

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming. Btw, I should also mention that most of the better TLDs of this name are taken and even a bunch of shitty ones.

When you ask for more, see if they claim that the other people who own similar domains are willing to sell them their domains for less. Ask the buyer specifically which other similar domains and get a hold of those people to see if the buyer is bluffing. Try to extract as much info as you can about the buyer ie. how much money do they have, are they a corporation, a vc-funded venture etc. This will probably be pretty difficult unless the buyer is an idiot, but sometimes they let things slip.

Jason Calacanis said he bought Mahalo for $10,000. 20.com sold for $75,000. These were 100% undeveloped sites if I'm not mistaken, and there's no reason you should settle for less than $5,000 unless you really need cash. You're lucky to have a great domain like youandme.com. I wouldn't under any circumstances sell a domain like that for less than $1,000.

Jason Calacanis said he bought Mahalo for $10,000. 20.com sold for $75,000. These were 100% undeveloped sites if I'm not mistaken, and there's no reason you should settle for less than $5,000 unless you really need cash.

You're off your rocker if you think uandme.com is comparable to Mahalo.com or 20.com . Computer.com sold for $2 million last year, so that must mean uandme.com is worth at least $200k right?

These domain threads on WF are unbelievable sometimes.

You think Mahalo is such a better name than uandme.com? Mahalo was a parked domain. What's so great about the word "Mahalo." Mahalo wasn't an exact match of anything that people searched for. It's a matter of opinion. You really think 20.com is a better name than uandme? Why? Bearing in mind these are all undeveloped sites. What the fuck is so great about the word 20? Mahalo and 20 were both overpriced. Way overpriced, but they sold. The worth of the domain is really dependent on the buyer. 10K was a drop in the bucket to Jason.

Spending 75k on a parked domain named 20.com is a complete joke. 20 does get about 581 searches a day, but still it obviously wasn't worth that. The point was that yea, people overprice things ludicrously and are able to sell them.

You think Mahalo is such a better name than uandme.com? Mahalo was a parked domain. What's so great about the word "Mahalo." Mahalo wasn't an exact match of anything that people searched for. It's a matter of opinion. You really think 20.com is a better name than uandme? Why? Bearing in mind these are all undeveloped sites. What the fuck is so great about the word 20? Mahalo and 20 were both overpriced. Way overpriced, but they sold. The worth of the domain is really dependent on the buyer. 10K was a drop in the bucket to Jason.

Spending 75k on a parked domain named 20.com is a complete joke. 20 does get about 581 searches a day, but still it obviously wasn't worth that. The point was that yea, people overprice things ludicrously and are able to sell them.

laugh out fucking loud

I own one NN.com and four LL.com and I guess those are worth nothing either huh? You should be in the domain appraisal business bud. Wow.

Also, define:mahalo - Google Search

This thread is now officially going places! Anyone think we're going to get a Lord Brar appearance soon? That will round out things wonderfully.

Just because Mahalo and 20 are actual words (with OK search volume) doesn't mean they're worth as much as they were sold for. You can honestly say you think 20.com was worth 75k? I'd rather have you be right if i owned one of those.

I would pay $75k for 20.com in a heartbeat. Why don't you go find me any other N0.com, like 30, 40, or 50.com and acquire them since they are so worthless? I'll pay $75k for any of them.

Or instead why don't you stop advertising your ignorance about domain names?

No, I'd rather do that and then watch you back off your word that you would pay me 75k. Cause I'm fairly confident I can get a number domain for less than 75k..so let's see if you keep your word.
Haha, if you're really gonna pay me 75k, then I see nothing to lose by buy buying one for say 60k.

I will try that, and if your'e right, and no one is willing to sell one for less than 75k, I'll come back and admit that I'm wrong.

No, I'd rather do that and then watch you back off your word that you would pay me 75k. Cause I'm fairly confident I can get a number domain for less than 75k..so let's see if you keep your word.
Haha, if you're really gonna pay me 75k, then I see nothing to lose by buy buying one for say 60k.

I will try that, and if your'e right, and no one is willing to sell one for less than 75k, I'll come back and admit that I'm wrong.

You seem like very knowledgeable guy for domain appraisals, i guess you are long time in the domain selling business. I would say more than a week?
Please appraise my domains:

PS3Shops.com
PS3Stores.com
XBOX360Shops.com
XBOX360Stores.com

Benahue, you are out of league with this one. Trust me on this , domaining is a completely different animal compared to IM. Wf in general has a while to go until they completely and truly understand how to value domains.
Mortal, even 30 bucks for your domain is alot of money really it is. What are you going to do with it. Now, you have alot of type in traffic which sounds amazing and that itself should be a small bargaining chip on your end.
Dont go over board, take the bid up to 1200 or something along that line and negotiate . Otherwise you will be left with a name that you will be forced to sell for less that its worth later on. :)
Mahalo.

I dont know how well in to domaining you guys are, but Dullspace are right.

A two letter domain and a .com are you kidding me??? Do you guys know how rare they are? each would very easily be sold for low $xxx,xxxx very easily.

Dullspace are you serious, where did you get 4 LL.com's ?

If you had 1 NN.com and 4??? LL.com you would be a millionaire right now, and at a trophic island, instead of in a forum chatting with obiviously not so knowledgable kids, who dont understand what domaining is about!

Best regards to you all,

If I was you I would have accepted the offer. The value imo lies at low $xxx.

I dont know how well in to domaining you guys are, but Dullspace are right.

A two letter domain and a .com are you kidding me??? Do you guys know how rare they are? each would very easily be sold for low $xxx,xxxx very easily.
Dullspace are you serious, where did you get 4 LL.com's ?

If you had 1 NN.com and 4??? LL.com you would be a millionaire right now, and at a trophic island, instead of in a forum chatting with obiviously not so knowledgable kids, who dont understand what domaining is about!

Best regards to you all,

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After some thought I decided not to part with it at the moment. Don't need the cash and based on feedback I've received (not just here) I figure I can probably get $500 for it at a later date should I decide to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.