Google : More Lawsuits.

twentysomething

Dec 9, 2009
I was just reading an article about how the big G is filing more lawsuits against a company pushing work-at-home courses using the google trademark on flogs and fake news pages.

"The names of the kits include "The Home Business Kit for Google," "Google StartUp Kit" and "Google Adwork" among other variations"

"Also named in the suit are 50 "John Does" that Google alleges are complicit in the schemes. Those individuals will be named later in the suit as their identities are discovered."

John Does = Affiliates, or possibly ad networks allowing these campaigns to run?

John Does are going to be everyone involved with diluting the Google trademark including affiliates.

i wonder if many of those John Does had recently their Adwords accounts banned...

That's a pretty good assumption.

I'm thinking some affiliate networks might get hit as well.

I doubt Google will include networks and set a precedent that could cause others to sue them and use this case against them, lets not forget that Google is a CPA network as well. Claiming the distribution network is culpable sets precedent for others to go after Google for being a distribution network for advertisers who may or may not be violating a third party's rights.

I doubt Google will include networks and set a precedent that could cause others to sue them and use this case against them, lets not forget that Google is a CPA network as well. Claiming the distribution network is culpable sets precedent for others to go after Google for being a distribution network for advertisers who may or may not be violating a third party's rights.

There is a difference between what google is doing and what networks do. Networks push these rebills to affiliates and allow them to break the rules. Google on the other hand, doesn't endorse it. But wtvr makes you sleep better at night.

Mike, your point definitely makes sense but I would think that they would give precedence to protecting their brand by showing they are taking action over indirectly sheltering their CPA network.

There is a difference between what google is doing and what networks do. Networks push these rebills to affiliates and allow them to break the rules. Google on the other hand, doesn't endorse it. But wtvr makes you sleep better at night.

I have to agree with you. No offense to networks or the owners but by allowing trademark infringing offers into your network(not just the google ones, but twitter bizops, make money with youtube, etc) your company is involved in promoting it.

Epic/azoogle is a defendant along with just think media for tm infringement in the dazzlewhite case, I don't see how this is any different.

lets not forget that Google is a CPA network as well. .

They are, but most likely not running media that infringes on other's intellectual property.