Google Adwords. Destination URL different from Displayed URL

johnjassa

Mar 19, 2010
When I search certain keywords. I will see a display URL of like a big known company like Walmart.com but then when i click to it . It goes to an affiliate's LP and is something completely different than what is displayed?

I am seeing it over several days now?

How is this done?

Thanks

When you create an ad there is a display URL option and target URL option.
images

It's done by cloaking. Still pretty damn easy to do.

Just don't step on the toes of any large company with a sophisticated search team, and high spend with Google. Someone might just get your account banned. Rare, but it happens.

I've had shit running cloaked for years, and my only banned account was my completely white-hat account...

There's the old trick of changing the kw URL after getting the ads accepted, and then there's cloaking, which generally has longer longevity... until someone rats you out for cloaking to an arbitrage page, and gets your ridiculously large (and profitable) account banned.

Reactions: Seoholic
It's done by cloaking. Still pretty damn easy to do.

Just don't step on the toes of any large company with a sophisticated search team, and high spend with Google. Someone might just get your account banned. Rare, but it happens.

I've had shit running cloaked for years, and my only banned account was my completely white-hat account...

There's the old trick of changing the kw URL after getting the ads accepted, and then there's cloaking, which generally has longer longevity... until someone rats you out for cloaking to an arbitrage page, and gets your ridiculously large (and profitable) account banned.

But these days adwords dont approve the ads unless display and targeting ads are same

this ^^

Yes, EmpyreRam, you're right. You can't get any ads with different target & destination URLs past Google. None of us know what we're talking about here. Mike T3 and Johu are just making shit up.

:rolleyes: