Good VPS Host?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesH

Jun 25, 2006
I'm looking for a decent VPS host. I don't need top quality, and don't want to pay for it. However I don't want to waste my time either. Just a good mid range VPS host. Any recommendations?

Slicehost it is. Have an affiliate link bubbles?

EDIT: Actually, PowerVPS since I need managed because I'm an idiot.

Looks like a good service as well. By the way I will need cPanel and WHM. So keep that in mind when throwing up those affiliate links *cough* recommendations.

rails playground offers cpanel whm it appears -- I've used them (developer level) for just a platform to show clients a ruby application. They give you a free subdomain so it was convenient at the time. Nothing bad to say about them at least :)

And james -- if you aren't comfortable managing your own server, slicehost is going to be pretty rough for you. Unmanaged means you better know enough.

Yea, rails gives cPanel for an additional cost. They use LXadmin as their free "control panel" which is pretty good. The biggest benefit is that it's much easier on the RAM than cPanel is, so you can cram more sites on a box.

The link is not an affiliate one, I don't even think they have an aff program.

Tektonic.net is pretty good. Never had any issues with them and they've got packages starting from just $15 a month.

If you need CPanel, their UM2 Plan is pretty good:
$28 a month + $5 month extra for CPanel/WHM
589 MB Ram
26 GB Disk Space
2 mb/s unmetered

It's an unmanaged plan, but even an idiot like me never has any issues. :)

They've got managed plans as well.

I've been with zone.net for a while now, and it's been a good experience so far. They have fully managed and unmanaged VPS. There prices are pretty good and multiple locations to pick from.

Status
Not open for further replies.