Good time to upgrade?

poisonsembrace

Nov 22, 2009
I've been thinking about building a new PC; my old one is a c2d 2.3ghz, 2gb ram with a 4850 ati vidja card. Runs games like SC2 but chugs a little in 4v4 if everyone goes mass marines.

Would now be a good time to upgrade? I have not followed release schedules etc for years and I'm thinking I'll probably go an i5 but might be tempted to purchase an i7 as well..

Here's what I've come up with so far.

LGA 1155 socket i5-2400, Asrock P67 Extreme4 B3, Kingston 8Gb Kit 4Gbx2, HIS ATI 1GB 6870, Hitachi 2Tb HDD... all up I'm looking at around $800 for parts and I'll probably look at getting rid of my current 24" and 21" monitors in favour of a 27" or 30"

I don't know whether to hold out until a week or 2 before BF3 comes out which is apparently Nov this year..6 months away. Waiting until then isn't an issue if I can get more bang for my buck although cost isn't an issue.

Is there any compelling reason to wait? With 2 laptops and a PC sitting around here, I'm thinking it'd be a good time to sell everything and start with new hardware.

Consider purchasing an Apple because the new Macbook Pro line have Thunderbolt technology which you just won't see on a PC whether it be an AMD or Intel build.

Apple provides a superior product and if you're serious about your online marketing, you need to be running with Mac hardware. The latest Macbook Pro line come with thunderbolt technology which no other laptop on the market has.

If you're an online marketing who is actually making any money, chances are you're already using a Mac. Are you ready to join that elite group? If no, go purchase your shitty $300 plastic EeePC that can only run an email client, browser and text editor for coding.

PC's can't even run iTunes or iMovie.

If you're serious about online marketing, a Macbook Pro is the only thing you should consider. It has the latest graphics, huge amounts of diskspace and memory as well as thunderbolt technology. No other laptop in the world uses thunderbolt; Apple are always at the forefront of tech.

inb4poisonembraceagrees

Reactions: -God- and DanWesson
Consider purchasing an Apple because the new Macbook Pro line have Thunderbolt technology which you just won't see on a PC whether it be an AMD or Intel build.

Terrible reasoning, but still is a great machine and you won't find a laptop built with quality anywhere near as nice as apple laptops. And you won't find that much better of a deal come black friday...maybe 10-20%...and I'd much rather have my computer now than wait 6 months...

inb4poisonembraceagrees

2ugiij4.png

I hope you're not serious about that post...You're an idiot and you would make me not want to buy a Mac, and I LOVE OS X and Apple Computers...

mac book is always a good choice, as long as ur willing pay for its hefty price tag

Apple provides a superior product and if you're serious about your online marketing, you need to be running with Mac hardware. The latest Macbook Pro line come with thunderbolt technology which no other laptop on the market has.

If you're an online marketing who is actually making any money, chances are you're already using a Mac. Are you ready to join that elite group? If no, go purchase your shitty $300 plastic EeePC that can only run an email client, browser and text editor for coding.

If you're serious about online marketing, a Macbook Pro is the only thing you should consider. It has the latest graphics, huge amounts of diskspace and memory as well as thunderbolt technology. No other laptop in the world uses thunderbolt; Apple are always at the forefront of tech.

inb4poisonembraceagrees

troll or dumbfuck alert.

troll or dumbfuck alert.

I'm hoping troll, but that seemed somewhat serious. Many people love apple and have no reason why they do, they just think they're the best. I feel that they are, but I have many reasons I prefer them, mainly Coda.

My Apple banter is trolling even though I own a Macbook Pro. This thread on the other hand is a serious question about timing my PC upgrade.

Still, I should've expected this kind of response.. I guess I got reversed trolled?

My Apple banter is trolling even though I own a Macbook Pro. This thread on the other hand is a serious question about timing my PC upgrade.

Still, I should've expected this kind of response.. I guess I got reversed trolled?

;)

In all seriousness, I don't think there's ever a perfect moment to buy computer hardware. Technology is increasing at such a pace that if you were to wait for the latest and greatest, you'd never have a computer. You can choose to pay less for today's "current" technology, or wait for the next platform and pay a premium for having the new stuff.

honestly hopefully thunderbolt makes its way to PCs very soon, there needs to be more peripherals

I think if you're going PC there isn't any huge benefit in timing your purchase for a certain time. Different story if your buying a mac though...

Does anyone else thing that iTunes is the largest piece of shit ever created?

iTunes and iPhone don't utilise Thunderbolt technology but they are both made by Apple; conflicted.

Seriously though, are there any new cpu's or gfx's coming down the pipeline between now and the end of 2011 that is worth waiting for?

LGA 1155 socket i5-2400, Asrock P67 Extreme4 B3, Kingston 8Gb Kit 4Gbx2, HIS ATI 1GB 6870, Hitachi 2Tb HDD... all up I'm looking at around $800 for parts and I'll probably look at getting rid of my current 24" and 21" monitors in favour of a 27" or 30"

Asus makes some great p67 based motherboards, I'd probably opt for a i5-2500k or i7-2600k so you can overclock with an asus mb. If I were building out a new desktop I'd have put in an 80gb+ SSD drive as the boot + apps, use the 2tb for storage. Unless your gaming you could find a cheaper video card.

Consider purchasing an Apple because the new Macbook Pro line have Thunderbolt technology

This has to be the dumbest argument about why to buy a specific brand. How many 3rd party thunderbolt products are available and at what cost right now? USB 3.0 will dominate not because of speed but availability of products, plus while it might only be half as fast as thunderbolt I highly doubt you need that kinda of speed in the first place. Apple fanatics think they have the greatest computers when it's just a computer in an expensive case. They really don't do anything better significantly better than a PC. I never hear the argument, "well I was able to be 200% more creative because of one-button on my mouse, or create an excel spreadsheet in half the time because it's a mac". Yeah I do have a mac desktop, but I rarely use it except for browser testing so don't even go there.

Does anyone else thing that iTunes is the largest piece of shit ever created?

I agree, it's a huge piece of shit.

I'd recommend something with thunderbolt technology, i.e. Apple, because it's simply too good.

/thread.