Go through Affiliate Network or Set-up Your Own?

Benji49

Feb 6, 2008
Okay here is the setup:

I'm working with a guy who writing a financial newsletter and selling subscription online. He's a got a website with some free content and selling access to the members' center (where you see the good stuff) for $300 a year.
Before you start to roll your eyes, independent financial newsletters have been around for decades. There's one guy who has been writing for more than 50 years, no kidding. Three hundred bucks a year is pretty standard, cheap even in this niche.
The guy already has 75 subscribers with an email list of more than 500 people. He's new to the newsletter business, only been doing it since July. Obviously, he is has been in the financial industry (TSE, TSX) longer, about 20 years. Most of his money has come from trading and he has a BIG house in North Vancouver to show for it. (I know this guy as a personal friend, I organized his bachelor party back in 1993).

Okay enough of the background crap. He's at the point where he wants affiliates to sell subscriptions. Again, this is the norm in the industry. The big guys like Cramer sell through CJ, the smaller guys roll their own through Clickbank or ejunkie (through memberwing) or hasoffers. We've had a few talks and I've said at a certain point in time, we should see if companies like Neverblue or Convert2Media or Maxbounty or (add your favorite here) would be interested in acting as broker for the site. And so here are the questions:

1. Are we kidding ourselves? Are those companies interested in this type of business or are they just making too much money with Acai/BizOpps/Email submits?
2. What should you bring to the table so you don't look like a total noob? For example, what sort of cash deposit do these guys want upfront?
3. Do the affiliate brokerage companies want to see landing pages designed before they are approached or after? Do they want to see some attempt at LP optmization before they are approached or do they not care?
4. For a $300 one-year subscription in this line of business, we have seen payouts of $30. Obviously, we would have to give a cut to the brokerage house over and above that. What sort of percentage cut do the affiliate marketing houses take?
5. Are the aff marketing houses motivated by bonuses? That is to say, you break 100 subs, we bonus you 10%, 200 subs 20%. Stuff like that.

If we can't get an affiliate house to look at the business, then we'll have to roll our own affiliate tracking network (and that's a lot of hassle). Plus, let's be honest, if we do it ourselves, then it will take us two years to sell the same # of subscriptions and most of the affiliate marketing community won't touch us with a ten-foot pole (as most prefer to deal with a trusted affiliate marketing company).

Yeah, it's a long post, but hey, complicated problem. If anybody has had any experiences to share, I've got rep to give out (come on, I know you guys really care about that).

Why don't you try contacting NeverBlue and talking with them about it?

Although, if you don't think there is a lot of potential volume in the offer then I wouldn't bother. I'm just speculating here I don't really know but it sounds to me like the kind of offer you can only promote if you already have a related site in the niche, not marketable by ppc and hard (and probably not worth it) to build organic traffic for.

In that case I'd get an inhouse affiliate program and maybe roll it out on CJ or SAS, of course offer a better payout with your inhouse program to encourage people to work with you directly.

OK, you obviously know what you're doing. Take your huge customer base of 75 and go to neverblue/c2m whatever - I'm sure they'll take you seriously.

No, I don't know what I'm doing. That's why I posted. But I do know that way too many affiliates won't touch Clickbank with a ten foot pole wrapped with lead. Search keyword "clickbank" on this forum if you don't believe me.

Sure, I'm gonna reach out to the affiliate houses. Just hoped to get some advice before I did so.

Look, clickbank has bigger affiliate base than twenty CPA networks combined. Yes, people on this forum don't like clickbank, but that doesn't mean there's no money to be made with them.

IMO, clickbank is definitely the best choice if you're a small publisher.

Why? They take care of your credit card processing which means all you need to do is have a solid product and take care of customer support.

And they take care for everything else, which includes paying affiliates. Do your own research and don't just follow the herd because the herd doesn't always know what's best for you. Especially in this case.

Reactions: Benji49
I agree that Clickbank is a good fit for what you are doing. Sure, it is easy to rag on because of all the shit products but it also has its place. Clickbank marketers are used to running with really specific niches.

CPA networks excel at generating leads, while you are looking to get direct sales. In addition the appeal of the product is too narrow to work well with CPA. The model is concerned with hitting the masses and riding the biggest trends, not reaching small affluent audiences.

JoseArmando is giving you good advice IMO. Clickbank isn’t a bad place to start out for the sales model.

Reactions: Benji49
Look, clickbank has bigger affiliate base than twenty CPA networks combined. Yes, people on this forum don't like clickbank, but that doesn't mean there's no money to be made with them.

IMO, clickbank is definitely the best choice if you're a small publisher.

Why? They take care of your credit card processing which means all you need to do is have a solid product and take care of customer support.

And they take care for everything else, which includes paying affiliates. Do your own research and don't just follow the herd because the herd doesn't always know what's best for you. Especially in this case.

ClickBank got a bad rap due to the make money online junk that is sold on it, but there are dozens of good products on there that can make you money if you take the time to market them right. OP, ClickBank would be a solid approach to take... and you're walking into a network with an affiliate base of over 100,00.

Not only that, but it only costs $50 to get set up and you're good to go. Couldn't be any more risk-free.

Okay, good thread for me, I stand corrected. I never would have thought of clickbank.
Giving rep until out of rep.

There's nothing wrong with clickbank in general. They are just the favorite to be hated on in this forum cause there is a lot of stupid shit on there. But any place that lets any dumbass from DP or Warrior Forum put up anything they want will have a lot of stupid shit on it.

The alternative is to setup your own affiliate setup, either using someone else's network (i.e. directrack) or even something like the Wordpress Affiliate Platform plugin.

Note that these solutions are fraught with dangers if you don't know what you're doing, especially the WP-AP plugin, but they are another alternative that hasn't been suggested yet