Getting your product into physical stores

mpbiz

Apr 29, 2010
Has anyone ever gotten a product into physical stores? I have a product that I want to start with online, but ever since learning about Force Factor starting online and getting picked up by GNC I started to look at the bigger picture.

I've been curious about the process and what it takes to get physical stores to start stocking your product.

I'm in the process of having a prototype created from the first design plans so once we build tools for production and start producing them I'll face the same issue outside of my own marketing, so I'm also interested in any insight.

You have to have a lot of money to get into the big stores like GNC, Walmart, etc...
Stores like them usually want a ton of product, very cheap, and they don't pay upfront either. So you will need the capital to pay your manufacturer to make thousands of the product while waiting for your money.

Back when I owned my own supplements company I drove around to local "smaller" stores that sold supplements and talked to them. I got a couple stores and a gas station to buy my products and stock them on their shelves.

So I would recommend starting with the smaller local mom and pop shops. Then branch out from there.

Also, if you can do any magazine advertising that would help. Buyers like to see your products advertised as much as possible.

Has anyone ever gotten a product into physical stores? I have a product that I want to start with online, but ever since learning about Force Factor starting online and getting picked up by GNC I started to look at the bigger picture.

I've been curious about the process and what it takes to get physical stores to start stocking your product.

The best way I have found to get other business to carry my products has been at trade show and pounding on doors. Having them find you at a trade shows and buying events (even state fairs can be huge for this) is much easier because they are coming to you, and they are looking for things to buy.

Your looking for businesses where its going to complement their store. Be careful with buying the business. Once you give someone the price its really hard to get them to pay more. The other nice thing about this method is your usually dealing with the decision maker and no gate keepers are in the way. Appeal to their greed and they will give you shot.

Your other option is to go pounding on doors. This requires a lot more effort and rejection but can also be very lucrative if you put your nose to the grindstone and do the work.

You have to build a brand and a reputation for being the best. You only have one shot to make that impression. If you can deliver and do it better than anyone else these business owners will pay your bills for years to come.

Look for newer business (and businesses 5 to 15 years old) to sell your products for you. Typically they are less experienced with negotiating. They are usually very loyal to the people that helped them get started. They dont have the buying power that larger stores might but if you get enough of them buying from you it doesn't take that many to pay your expenses and make a bunch of money. You have to constantly add new business's to your customer list with this method because most of the new business's will have failed within 3 years so you have to get the new ones.

The best way I have found to get other business to carry my products has been at trade show and pounding on doors. Having them find you at a trade shows and buying events (even state fairs can be huge for this) is much easier because they are coming to you, and they are looking for things to buy.

Good stuff...

I'm in the process of having a prototype created from the first design plans so once we build tools for production and start producing them I'll face the same issue outside of my own marketing, so I'm also interested in any insight.

Hit me up on aim Jose it sounds like we're in the same boat, we can help each other navigate through the BS.

You have to have a lot of money to get into the big stores like GNC, Walmart, etc...
Stores like them usually want a ton of product, very cheap, and they don't pay upfront either. So you will need the capital to pay your manufacturer to make thousands of the product while waiting for your money.

Back when I owned my own supplements company I drove around to local "smaller" stores that sold supplements and talked to them. I got a couple stores and a gas station to buy my products and stock them on their shelves.

So I would recommend starting with the smaller local mom and pop shops. Then branch out from there.

Also, if you can do any magazine advertising that would help. Buyers like to see your products advertised as much as possible.

How did that end up working out for you? Any growth or expansion? Definitely looking forward to talking to you some more Magnet.

PM me so we can shoot the shit on skype or aim.

Your looking for businesses where its going to complement their store. Be careful with buying the business. Once you give someone the price its really hard to get them to pay more. The other nice thing about this method is your usually dealing with the decision maker and no gate keepers are in the way. Appeal to their greed and they will give you shot.

Your other option is to go pounding on doors. This requires a lot more effort and rejection but can also be very lucrative if you put your nose to the grindstone and do the work.

You have to build a brand and a reputation for being the best. You only have one shot to make that impression. If you can deliver and do it better than anyone else these business owners will pay your bills for years to come.

Look for newer business (and businesses 5 to 15 years old) to sell your products for you. Typically they are less experienced with negotiating. They are usually very loyal to the people that helped them get started. They dont have the buying power that larger stores might but if you get enough of them buying from you it doesn't take that many to pay your expenses and make a bunch of money. You have to constantly add new business's to your customer list with this method because most of the new business's will have failed within 3 years so you have to get the new ones.

+rep thanks for the solid input. That last part about looking for newer businesses is actually perfect for my situation and my product aligns perfectly with most of the smaller health shops so this could definitely work for me.

Have you had any long term success with pounding on doors with smaller and newer businesses?

I did a lot of this when I had a day job. Depending on what you're selling, there are often distributors that act as middlemen between you and the stores. That's not to say that you HAVE to use them, but it can be a lot more efficient than fulfilling orders for tons of small stores - and a lot of places will ONLY order through their distributors unless they have a really good reason to deviate from that. With books and DVDs, there's Baker and Taylor, Ingram, New Leaf (for new agey stuff), etc. I'm not super familiar with the supplement market, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to figure out. They generally need a bigger discount than if you sell directly to a small shop, since they have to be able to mark it up a bit and sell to stores at a wholesale price.

If you want to sell to the really big stores, the whole situation gets a lot more complicated. If the product is ingested, you have a ton of special requirements to deal with - especially if it's some kind of supplement or pseudo-medical product. California requires a specific disclosure regarding substances that could potentially cause cancer and birth defects. Most retailers will want you to have at least a million or two in product liability insurance. Granted, most of this is stuff you should do/have anyway - but most small retailers don't give it any thought.

Also, the really big stores press harder than you'd ever guess on pricing and payment terms. I've known a few very well-funded projects that went under because big box stores required 6 month payment terms and then stretched it out to 9 and 12 months at their leisure. Catalogs are kind of the same way - they bigger they are, the harder they push.

Sales reps can also be a huge help, especially if you're selling anything that might do well in catalogs or independent shops. There are huge networks of sales reps you can assign to different territories (like affiliates, but with social skills) and let them do the dirty work in exchange for a commission. I worked with one guy who was absolutely brilliant at landing contracts with catalogs, and he took around 15% for his efforts.

The trade show recommendation is great, as you meet a little bit of everything there - buyers, sales reps, media, etc. If you can get a lot of positive media coverage from magazines or bloggers, that also goes a long way towards getting buyers to take on your products. That's especially true if your item is truly innovative or unique, as buyers (especially at big companies) are often pretty unadventurous, preferring to stick with proven sellers and products with some kind of a track record.

There are also a bunch of silly awards/reviews you can get as credibility indicators, depending on your market. In DVDs, you want to get reviewed by Video Librarian and Library Journal. For kids' products, there's a "Parent Tested, Parent Approved" endorsement you can get if you send them money and your product doesn't completely suck (anything short of lawn darts should be ok if the check clears).

Basically, just figure out what it is that lends a product credibility in your particular product area, then do that. The guys who said you shouldn't immediately aim for Wal-Mart or GNC or whatever are totally correct, because it takes a fairly or well-funded mature business to be able to handle that kind of volume. Also, if you're even remotely sane, you'll consider the possibility of licensing your idea before you go to all the effort of producing and selling it yourself. It's a LOT of work.

Also - one last sneaky recommendation for finding stores to carry your product...Find some similar products online, then go to the manufacturer's page. Nearly all of them will have a "Where to Buy" page that lists the stores that sell their products. The best ones will organize them nicely by state and give you the phone number. Check out a few pages, throw them all in Excel, remove duplicates, sort alphabetically and eyeball it once more for duplicates Excel missed (due to spelling/name variations)...and you've got a great prospect list.

Reactions: mpbiz
I did a lot of this when I had a day job. Depending on what you're selling, there are often distributors that act as middlemen between you and the stores. That's not to say that you HAVE to use them, but it can be a lot more efficient than fulfilling orders for tons of small stores - and a lot of places will ONLY order through their distributors unless they have a really good reason to deviate from that. With books and DVDs, there's Baker and Taylor, Ingram, New Leaf (for new agey stuff), etc. I'm not super familiar with the supplement market, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to figure out. They generally need a bigger discount than if you sell directly to a small shop, since they have to be able to mark it up a bit and sell to stores at a wholesale price.

If you want to sell to the really big stores, the whole situation gets a lot more complicated. If the product is ingested, you have a ton of special requirements to deal with - especially if it's some kind of supplement or pseudo-medical product. California requires a specific disclosure regarding substances that could potentially cause cancer and birth defects. Most retailers will want you to have at least a million or two in product liability insurance. Granted, most of this is stuff you should do/have anyway - but most small retailers don't give it any thought.

Also, the really big stores press harder than you'd ever guess on pricing and payment terms. I've known a few very well-funded projects that went under because big box stores required 6 month payment terms and then stretched it out to 9 and 12 months at their leisure. Catalogs are kind of the same way - they bigger they are, the harder they push.

Sales reps can also be a huge help, especially if you're selling anything that might do well in catalogs or independent shops. There are huge networks of sales reps you can assign to different territories (like affiliates, but with social skills) and let them do the dirty work in exchange for a commission. I worked with one guy who was absolutely brilliant at landing contracts with catalogs, and he took around 15% for his efforts.

The trade show recommendation is great, as you meet a little bit of everything there - buyers, sales reps, media, etc. If you can get a lot of positive media coverage from magazines or bloggers, that also goes a long way towards getting buyers to take on your products. That's especially true if your item is truly innovative or unique, as buyers (especially at big companies) are often pretty unadventurous, preferring to stick with proven sellers and products with some kind of a track record.

There are also a bunch of silly awards/reviews you can get as credibility indicators, depending on your market. In DVDs, you want to get reviewed by Video Librarian and Library Journal. For kids' products, there's a "Parent Tested, Parent Approved" endorsement you can get if you send them money and your product doesn't completely suck (anything short of lawn darts should be ok if the check clears).

Basically, just figure out what it is that lends a product credibility in your particular product area, then do that. The guys who said you shouldn't immediately aim for Wal-Mart or GNC or whatever are totally correct, because it takes a fairly or well-funded mature business to be able to handle that kind of volume. Also, if you're even remotely sane, you'll consider the possibility of licensing your idea before you go to all the effort of producing and selling it yourself. It's a LOT of work.

Also - one last sneaky recommendation for finding stores to carry your product...Find some similar products online, then go to the manufacturer's page. Nearly all of them will have a "Where to Buy" page that lists the stores that sell their products. The best ones will organize them nicely by state and give you the phone number. Check out a few pages, throw them all in Excel, remove duplicates, sort alphabetically and eyeball it once more for duplicates Excel missed (due to spelling/name variations)...and you've got a great prospect list.

++rep stefanie check your PM's