Getting past the admin password screen on a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

5th Year Senior Member
Apr 27, 2008
My buddy bought a Mac Powerbook from some tweaker on eGay. He also happen to forget to ask for the admin password. Now he can't get in touch with the seller.

Does anybody have any ideas on getting past the admin password screen (without the password smartasses)?

Not really, if the original install disc was provided, he could reset the password. (but I'm guessing the disc was not provided).

Basically if you have the install disk, you boot up the disc (either holding down alt, or c during bootup with the CD/dvd in the drive). Then get far enough into the install process (ie: at the point where it ask you to pick a harddrive) you can go up to utilities and then reset password.

However I recommend reinstalling the OS on any pre owned machine.

As kb said you need the install disc. If you have it put it in, run the setup it will re-start the computer (off the cd/dvd). After it is loaded up there is a menu option to reset the password. If you have the install disc I would re-install the OS and create your own username. If you have the disk space and don't want to loose everything on it you can do an archive and install. What this does is it keeps a copy of everything on the drive, disables the current OS and installs the OS again. If you do this you should be able to access the files on there now.

If you don't have and can't get the install disc, try this. Bad things could happen if filevault is turned on. Filevault encrypts a users folder, this contains for one the desktop, library where preferences are stored. It does not include the applications folder. If filevault is on and you do this you will not be able to access any files in the users directory, ever.

Restart in single user mode. To do this hold down the command key and the s key while computer is starting up. Command key == apple key.

When the computer has finished booting in a text-like unix mode you will get a command prompt.

enter the following and press enter/return after each. If you don't know the username type ls /Users and you will get a list of user accounts on the Mac.

/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd (username)
reboot

If that doesn't work try this method, from the command prompt.

Enter this mount -uw and press enter.

Then type the following launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plis

type te following
dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority
If you don't know the short user name, the name that you need the password to login with type ls /Users and you will get a list of users on the Mac.

After that type the following, with the username from the last step passwd username

Do what it says and enter the password, then you will need to enter it again.

type reboot and hit enter.

As far as the keychain password, it might be te same, or not. You won't be able to get it.

Passwords are changed in system preferences under accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.