Fuck New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority_Mail90

Success Depends on Focus
Dec 2, 2007
New York lawmakers approve 'Amazon tax' | The Register

At the moment, Amazon does not collect sales tax from New Yorkers. It doesn't have a warehouse or an office or any other corporate facility in the state. But Spitzer is arguing that lawmakers are ignoring another portion of the company's physical presence: Members of the Amazon affiliate marketing program. You know, independent web sites that drive traffic to Amazon.com in exchange for a cut of the profits.
Fuck them. This means if other states try and pull similar shit that the small guy will likely get push out and the rest of us will have to form corporations in states that don't pull this kind of bullshit scam.

But Spitzer is arguing that lawmakers are ignoring ...
I don't think Spitzer is doing to much arguing about New Your Laws right now.

Except for that little prostitution thing.

So, New Yorkers may be safe for a while

Governement at all levels wants a piece of the internet money-pie.

Lawmakers constantly have to show how clueless they really are on certain topics especially the internet and financial matters.

They allowed no-doc subprime loans for years and a tiny percentage of Amazons tax base is their real concern? Dipshits.

Plus he paid $4000 for a piece of ass. Repeatedly. Someone like that should not manage anyones money but their own.

For smaller companies it would be easier to ban all NY based affiliates rather than tax every purchase from that state.

For smaller companies it would be easier to ban all NY based affiliates rather than tax every purchase from that state.

For the publisher (amazon in this case) it wouldn't make sense to BAN the NY affiliates.

The taxes are paid by the customer,not amazon. They just have to just charge the tax, wait 3 months, and send it to the government.

Taxes are a small loan to any company for a short period. So amazon LOVES it.

Ok, maybe I didn't understand the article correctly.

Company 1: Allows NY based affiliates
Company 2: Bans all NY based affiliates

If I am a consumer in NY why would I buy anything from company 1 knowing I have to pay an extra 8% on all my purchases?

Ah well, I'll continue using Amazon all the time anyway. I'm part of that Prime shipping membership, so even with extra taxes, from all the shit I've ordered over the last few years and snagged so many free shipping or super cheap shipping costs from them, it will pay for itself, sorta.

Even so, I don't see singling Amazon out with a tax law anytime soon. NY makes SO much more money from just raising cigarette taxes, they'd probably make more from that in six months than they'd make off of Amazon in a decade. NYC cigarette prices are going up this summer to around $8.25 per pack. It costs the tobacco companies $0.05 to make a pack of cigarettes. I heard NY state gets cigarettes for around $0.40 a pack, so the rest is just profit from taxes, and we have a shitload of smokers here.

Sorry for going off topic, but the idea of the state taxing ONE company and not the rest seems unlikely. Even if it were to pass, there would be a war cry of lawyers having a field day. So I kinda doubt it.

New York is for suckers. Nothing enviable about getting overcharged and overtaxed for everything in your life... just makes you a sucker.

NYC cigarette prices are going up this summer to around $8.25 per pack.

Jesus, those better be the most delicious, gold plated cigarettes ever. Here in California I pay around $3.50-4.00 for a pack of camel lights and I still bitch about it.

Thats not a big deal at all. If you are making any significant income from it, just start an out of state corp and pay yourself a salary.

Your physical location doesn't mean too much, its where your corporate entity is established.

Jesus, those better be the most delicious, gold plated cigarettes ever. Here in California I pay around $3.50-4.00 for a pack of camel lights and I still bitch about it.

Fuck Aff Marketing, I'm going into racketeering.

Anyone want to partner on a cig smuggling venture?

(note: to all you retards out there, I am not serious)

So, CJ and Linshare are both sending out emails to their Affiliates warning them that they need to check how this law effects them.

So er, just to reiterate, fuck NY.

It cost me $10.46 for a pack of large Du mau's today... same pack cost me $3.75 10 years ago.

Im officially done and putting smoke money into ppc.

So, CJ and Linshare are both sending out emails to their Affiliates warning them that they need to check how this law effects them.

So er, just to reiterate, fuck NY.

how can the law possibly effect the affiliate themselves. Affiliates dont process payments or deal with the consumers. I understand how it can hurt the merchant but how the heck could the affiliate be effected?

Status
Not open for further replies.