Free Hosting Strategy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesgan

Hosting
Jan 17, 2007
www.hosting-rebate.com
(seem like its the right place to post this here)

i am very new to free hosting service, and its a very tricky business as i seen. Here is what i 'planning'
(not promoting myself, i not yet have this service)...

"100MB of free hosting space, 1GB bandwidth, cpanel, fantastico, pop email, Mysql, PHP for sure, etc etc. But, with ads on footer, no other ads, no forum posting. Will this free hosting be attractive enough?

...and As per your experience or opinion, how many signup will i gain per mth??

Hey,

I used to own a free hosting service back in the day, so let me spit some knowledge right quick. see: Statistics for x10hosting.com (2007-01)

First off, free hosting is definitely a profitable venture IF it's done correctly. Now, with the setup you're proposing, it's not very appealing. You really need to oversell in order to attract attention for the kiddies wanting to make clan sites or whatever.

Back in the day, I used to offer 2.5 gigs of space and 50 gigs of bandwidth on a server with 2TB bandwidth in total, and 2x120gb hard drives and pocket $500 or so.

As long as you're on top of things with your users, you shouldn't encounter too many problems. Limit PHP functions so that spamming isn't even an issue (disasble php mail) and limit file size uploads so people aren't uploading movies, etc.

Not that great of an idea to allow CGI.

I kinda agree. CGi would be fine but you have to be careful. make sure the script only has access to its own root which should be easy and make sure theres a quick time out on all scripts and running processes. Also remove some perl modules like ones that help with multithreading(someone could tear your server apart with that). Of course simliar would have to go for php.

I kinda agree. CGi would be fine but you have to be careful. make sure the script only has access to its own root which should be easy and make sure theres a quick time out on all scripts and running processes. Also remove some perl modules like ones that help with multithreading(someone could tear your server apart with that). Of course simliar would have to go for php.
Precisely :) You may want to look into making a script that searches the server for proxies and what not and automatically suspends the account. That's what we had going on and it seemed to work pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.