For the Europeans: Adwords and VAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

akk0

Danny Trejo Power!
Nov 7, 2006
How many of you are paying the VAT?
I never really knew about this shit but just noticed that google automatically adds the VAT thing to the charges. How do you guys handle that? I never gave a VAT number to google and the amount I have to pay extra is quite a bit. When I signed up for AW I apparently signed up as a private person (who google charges VAT) but since I'm an affiliate only I'm apparently a business. So should I just shoot them a mail and have my account changed to a business account?

Thanks

As far as I know you have to pay VAT whether you're a 'person' or a 'business'. If you're VAT registered (and that is the Acid Test) then you can claim back the VAT you've paid (and, where appropriate, charge your customers the same).

If you were VAT registered then you'd know more than me about this (I'm not, I may add), so I guess you're just going to have to accept it. Someone may well be able to answer precisely than me.

As far as I know you have to pay VAT whether you're a 'person' or a 'business'. If you're VAT registered (and that is the Acid Test) then you can claim back the VAT you've paid (and, where appropriate, charge your customers the same).

If you were VAT registered then you'd know more than me about this (I'm not, I may add), so I guess you're just going to have to accept it. Someone may well be able to answer precisely than me.

According to this site you don't have to pay it if you're a business

If you're a UK business (NB. that can be a sole trader, not just Ltd), you don't pay VAT on AdWords. Don't understand the reasoning (something to do with Google UK being in Ireland). You used to specify under 'My Account' and Google would stop billing VAT and issue a cheque refund, thought htis may have changed since I did it. Speak to AdWords support.

With my first adwords account as a person I had to pay VAT. On my current account (under my business name) I don't pay VAT. (in Belgium)

YSM uk charges me VAT for some reason ... I'll have to contact support about that one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.