Foget flogs..Is this the end of reviews pages too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikernr

Oct 19, 2008
The sign says "Nowhere".
FT.com / Companies / Media - Advertisers brace for online viral marketing curbs

If a blogger received a free sample of skin lotion and then incorrectly claimed the product cured eczema, the FTC could sue the company for making false or unsubstantiated statements. The blogger could be sued for making false representations.

Review sites work on the same principle. The affiliates don't buy the products or use it. We make up the reviews. How are they going to determine ligit reviews sites from affiliate review sites?

Maybe if you're reviewing a product you should buy it too

Would be smart since you're posting a review.

For the upteenth time- REVIEW SITE AND BLOGS ARE FAR FROM THE ONLY WAYS TO MAKE MONEY. If you are THAT worried about it, please review your business plan.

this is a cross post from WMW

But, I also believe that the people in congress or FTC that are making these changes should also be required to wear patches on their suits that list their sponsors as well. I'm sure these changes are coming from somewhere for some political or monetary gain.

Great one. Also,

Companies cannot falsely advertise on TV

I'd hate to disagree. See a late night info-commercial. Most of them make the most ridiculous claims. They get away with it by putting a little disclaimer on the bottom. But more realisiticaly, they get away with it by having a huge legal team.
Or how about false advertising and getting away with it if you have connections, like advertising for a war under false premises and getting off scot-free, without media/courts/etc doing so much as even bringing it up? Or the credit rating agencies that made sure 'AAA' was stamped on anything that was put together by anyone with a Ivie-league school MBA? The list goes on.

So if I'm a small blogger and I give an endorsement to a product that is latter discovered to not work (which can be a legitimate mistake), I could get in trouble? Or if I say company x's product is better company y's product, and company y decides to put in a frivolous suit, now they can? And even ruin me if I don't have to money to defend against it? Not everything is black and white.

While the biggest theft in history is happening, the accomplices to it are searching to ever oppress freedom. They come out with their hands stained in blood to preach purity and put in generic legislation that puts the law on the side of whom can afford it. Never before has the phrase 'if you are not outraged you are not paying attention' apply.

I could be just paranoid, but I feel big money is making sure it is ever harder and harder for the small guy.

You just can't claim it will "cure" diseases when it won't. You can say it will "help" with symptoms all you want, but no one can claim cures without trials/data/fda approval... come on now people.

theendisnear.jpg

it is possible to "review" stuff without making "unsubstantiated" claims.

You are right, this is how gadget reviews are done for very smaller publishers.

As long as you do not claim something that is not true and factual, your statements become opinions, and hard to prove any wrongs.

"The front panel of the Sony x023894 receiver looks dull and not innovative".

Can you prove this statement wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.