Fake - UBot for Mac OS X?

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
Saw this on Hacker News. Haven't played with it at all, but looks promising. I doubt it is a UBot for Mac OS X, but looks like it could definitely be beneficial for Mac web automation.

Fake - Mac OS X Web Browser Automation and Webapp Testing Made Simple.

Just downloaded it and will play around with it tonight and tomorrow, hopefully.

Has anyone else messed around with this?

EDIT: Oops, forgot about the Automation forum. This would probably be better suited for there if a mod wants to move it.

Reactions: guysmy

Sweet, just wondered whether anyone had seen it, because at a glance (reading the first post) thought it sounded like Sikuli! :D

I'm so fucking rubbish with automation it's a joke.

Cheers, dchuk, i will. I'm a bit old fashioned and have literally never automated a thing. I just tend to think it'll take too long to learn.

I started learning Ruby about a year ago and then decided it wasn't gonna earn me more money so stopped.

Had a look at Watir and as usual enjoyed playing on the command line, but then realised as I started going through the site, it's all scripting, which is the reason why automation scares me. Well, not scares me I can code quite competently, but I don't want to learn a new language! :)

God, if scripting isn't up your alley check out Ubot. I'm a comp sci major that dabbles in Assembly all day doing computer security, and I'm still loving Ubot to death.

wait wait wait...Ruby just scared off God?

:cool2:

:D I have a tempestuous relationship with code, because I absolutely love it when i'm learning it, but I always think, ffs, get someone else to do it, this is wasting time. You know? I feel unproductive and dirty. I have 2 RoR books on my shelf and 2 Ruby books as well!

God, if scripting isn't up your alley check out Ubot. I'm a comp sci major that dabbles in Assembly all day doing computer security, and I'm still loving Ubot to death.

I've debated this, mainly due to my windows machine being unused for about a month, maybe 2. But then I remember windows gets on my tits now, so decide against it!

Thanks for sharing this. I'm a bit like -God- in that I too have dabbled in automation but eventually hit a brick wall.

I've done some very basic stuff with iMacros, mostly because I'm a.) limited by using a Mac and b.) not willing to learn a whole new 'scripting' language. I find iMacros very intriguing and sometimes fun to learn, but the support and documentation for it is fucking terrible. It seems like every week I search online for "iMacros tutorials," and it's always the same crappy YouTube videos or unhelpful instructions from their wiki and/or forums.

The man above said it best:
ffs, get someone else to do it, this is wasting time.

Well, I have iMacros, Fake and Selenium now, they all seem really good. I also :GULP: turned on my pc today and threw on Winautomation, which looks pretty special.

Now i feel like i have too much shit to learn and not enough time! I'll make some time this week and really have a proper blast, maybe even by uBot as well... If you're gonna dive in, you may as well go from the top board!