Fake Reviews from a Competitor

samgeneric

Jul 26, 2009
Deerfield Beach, FL
So the owner of a competing company posted two negative reviews about my company on two different sites. We know it's him, and I'm really frustrated. I've dealt with bad reviews before, and it's extremely easy. You just cover them with good reviews. But I'm also of the opinion that, like New Egg refuses to put up with patent trollers, I refuse to let other companies libel my company's good name. That said, I don't want to do the usual bitching to Yelp or these other sites. So I thought ya'll could help me come up with something creative to actually do in response to his reviews.

Plastic Explosives + formal letters always work well in combination against bitchy competition.

On a serious note now - the desperate attempt of your competitor to decrease your reputation is a good sign of success of your business :) It means you're doing the right thing and leaving the competition in the dust. I would personally send him an email and ask what's up, why he's going after such methods and why he won't do a fair battle in the open market.

This should encourage you to work even harder and leave that guy miles away. And by no means use his methods to decrease his reputation.

Have an expensive law firm in your area write (and physically mail) him a letter on your behalf, suggesting it's in his best interest to halt this activity, and take those reviews down. Sometimes that letterhead from a prestigious law firm can be quite powerful, and is all that's needed.

^ and if that doesn't work, dont waste any more of your time on it, otherwise they've won

Have an expensive law firm in your area write (and physically mail) him a letter on your behalf, suggesting it's in his best interest to halt this activity, and take those reviews down. Sometimes that letterhead from a prestigious law firm can be quite powerful, and is all that's needed.

So in other words, just type a letter with a forged letterhead.

So in other words, just type a letter with a forged letterhead.

Great idea, until the guy calls the lawyer to ask a question or two, and you get caught impersonating a large, expensive and prestigious law firm. If you're going to impersonate a company and forge their letterhead, a law firm probably isn't the greatest pick.

We know it's him

How can you know for sure? And if you lawyer up and send a nasty-gram to him and he denies it, how do you plan to prove otherwise? Legally, you'd have to sue and then subpoena the company who posted the review (Google/Yelp/etc.) for IP info, etc., but that's not a cheap option...

Great idea, until the guy calls the lawyer to ask a question or two, and you get caught impersonating a large, expensive and prestigious law firm. If you're going to impersonate a company and forge their letterhead, a law firm probably isn't the greatest pick.

Could always reg a domain and invent a law firm :p

So the owner of a competing company posted two negative reviews about my company on two different sites. We know it's him, and I'm really frustrated. I've dealt with bad reviews before, and it's extremely easy. You just cover them with good reviews. But I'm also of the opinion that, like New Egg refuses to put up with patent trollers, I refuse to let other companies libel my company's good name. That said, I don't want to do the usual bitching to Yelp or these other sites. So I thought ya'll could help me come up with something creative to actually do in response to his reviews.

Ugly shit. isnt it.

Have a writer write 50 negative reviews of him. Print them out, pay him a visit and show to him. Tell him its a huge loss for both of you to kickstart a circle of revenge. Instead, you could help each other out if you service some different local markets.

If their dumb enough, simply having your lawyer send a C&D and asking him to take down fake reviews might be enough to convince him. He probably suspects that you do not know that it is him.

Well then throw up a site that looks like a baller lawyer and get a google voice number.

How can you know for sure? And if you lawyer up and send a nasty-gram to him and he denies it, how do you plan to prove otherwise? Legally, you'd have to sue and then subpoena the company who posted the review (Google/Yelp/etc.) for IP info, etc., but that's not a cheap option...
So we know it's him for a lot of reasons.

So, for now, the company will remain un-named. Although I'm sure with some sleuthing you'd be able to figure it out. But here we go.

A few months ago, everyone who reviewed us on Yelp received the following message:
"> Steve W. has sent you a message on Yelp:
>
> Did you know this is a One-Man Company?
> "Sterling is the owner, is the technician and is the only person running
> this business out of a house.
>
> Sorry to burst the fake [COMPANY NAME] bubble. You can research all of this
> with a simple Google search. Lucky for you, when you can't reach him, you
> can cancel and go elsewhere."

So I suspected that these letters were being sent out by our competitor, but had no evidence. I left it then, and didn't think anything of it since it really didn't do any damage. I did, however report it to Yelp. The person in question had come to our website and chatted with our representatives a number of times pretending to be someone else, so we have collected the IP address of his business, his home, and various other locations he logs in from. He's also become utterly obsessed with our company. Like, for example, we posted about how secure our site was since the whole thing is wrapped in SSL, and just a little bit later, he posted something to their facebook wall about their incredibly secure website.

Anyhow, suddenly, yesterday, on PissedConsumer.com a review for my company comes up from a guy claiming to have tried to do business with us posted from Boca Raton, FL and another review pops up on Yelp.com from the same location (listed as Delray which is just North Boca basically). This is where the President of the company lives. We've never sent any packages to Delray, we do not have any RMR customers in Delray, and his claim is that he had ordered his service on April 7th doesn't make any sense if you look at our order history. That day, there were 3 orders. Two of them were for product and no service, and one was for service. The customer who ordered service that day is a very happy customer and is still with us.

Needless to say, the review is obviously fake. Both reviews are the first negative reviews our company has ever received, not to mention they came within minutes of one another and were posted under two different names from the same locations articulating two different experiences with our company. One of the reviews, as I said, sounds very very similar to the messages being sent earlier to our customers. So now, not only did he post two fake reviews publicly libeling us, we also have Semantic evidence that he libeled us to individual customers in private messages back in late March.

Since we have his IP addresses, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to discover if he used public spaces or the same computer to access these sites, a simple subpoena to Yelp would be all we need to confirm that its him. A simple subpoena to Comcast or whatever provider he uses would be all we need to confirm his IP and my guess is we could even get his MAC address to discover which computer he used. And I think it's a very simple inference to then assume that the other review was also him even if that site probably doesn't easily comply with subpoenas. So the legal route would be very very easy and quick. That said, I don't think I want to take it. I would rather simply have him remove it or use this as an opportunity to get giant PR on how to deal with unscrupulous companies competing in your niche. Turn a giant negative into a massive positive and throw it in his face.

Ugly shit. isnt it.

Have a writer write 50 negative reviews of him. Print them out, pay him a visit and show to him. Tell him its a huge loss for both of you to kickstart a circle of revenge. Instead, you could help each other out if you service some different local markets.

We're both national companies.

We're both national companies.

national companies

If I understand it right, I don't see a problem with you paying a few hundred (or thousand) $ in lawyer fees to stop your competitor from doing what he's doing. Cost of doing business?

Edit: Read your last post. Ignore this

Reactions: Kiopa_Matt
national companies

If I understand it right, I don't see a problem with you paying a few hundred (or thousand) $ in lawyer fees to stop your competitor from doing what he's doing. Cost of doing business?

Edit: Read your last post. Ignore this

Correct. We'd just prefer not setting that precedent. The Streisand effect takes no prisoners. And it's easy to position yourself as the victim when you're being sued.

That said, this is pretty open/shut.

The legal recourse is the simple one. I am hoping for something a bit more unorthodox. We're marketers, I'd love to actually get some mileage out of this instead of doing what is traditional.