encrypted search making my life hard...

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
over 21% of my SE traffic yesterday was from encrypted keywords, aka no data provided. It's been on a constant rise daily...

what the hell are you guys doing to combat this? is there anything?

It's annoying with not being able to see the data, I do not use Google Analytics and I really don't want to use it but if I could see the kw traffic with Google Analytics I would seriously consider switching to it.

Wait, when was this implemented, and to what extent?

I still see full keyword data for all of my sites in GetClicky.

hmm weird, i use google analytics and i don't seem to have any encrypted keywords

According to sources when the news of this hit if your site runs in HTTPS you'll encrypted referrer data. Does anybody know if rankings tank if a site goes wholesale from HTTP to HTTPS?

According to sources when the news of this hit if your site runs in HTTPS you'll encrypted referrer data. Does anybody know if rankings tank if a site goes wholesale from HTTP to HTTPS?

Google doesn't crawl encrypted pages from what I understand. So yes, you go balls to the wall encrypted, you disappear from the SERPs.

Google doesn't crawl encrypted pages from what I understand. So yes, you go balls to the wall encrypted, you disappear from the SERPs.

That doesn't seem to jibe with the scenario painted by Cutts/Danny Sullivan

But Google Encrypted Search, as Google told me today, doesn’t block referrer data in the way that the new service does, not if you’re going from one encrypted server to another.

For example, if you used Google Encrypted Search and clicked on a result to come here to Search Engine Land, because we don’t run encryption, the referrer isn’t passed along. But Cutts said that if we did run encryption — or if any site did — they they would get the referrer data passed along.

That would be a pointless distinction if Google didn't index sites running under HTTPS. It's not like the DOM itself is encrypted.

Google To Begin Encrypting Searches & Outbound Clicks By Default With SSL Search

If you search for "https paypal" in Google you'll see the encrypted paypal homepage. Looks like Google does index them, which wasn't the question.

To establish if they're actually being crawled I checked my logs, but can't find anything explicitly showing googlebot requesting one of my https urls, while I'm seeing requests all over the place for non-encrypted pages.

Based on what I'm seeing I'd have to agree. Interested in anyone can find googlebot crawling encrypted pages.

It's annoying with not being able to see the data, I do not use Google Analytics and I really don't want to use it but if I could see the kw traffic with Google Analytics I would seriously consider switching to it.

Today there is a difference between google signed-in users and not signed-in users. The change will affects signed-in users, Google Analytics will see these ones as Google organic search and will no longer report referral. Nothing changes with not signed-in users and you'll see referral data both with GA and maybe other 3rd party analytics (cardine can still see data with getclicky).

i'd be curious to know what kind of percentage of daily organic searches come from signed in users at this point...as it will only grow quickly I'd imagine (and I believe Google said a percentage at one point, but not sure it really jives with reality).

A lot of people I know are just signing up for their first "official" Gmail account and are obviously behind us IM folks lol, but people are signing up to Google services like MAD lately. this guy yesterday was literally blown away at how easy/organized Gmail was compared to the other solutions...

so yeah i don't see how that percentage could be insignificant, especially within the next year or so?

Hold up, lemme get this straight- so there's no downside to switching from GA to getclicky?