EMD domains with a number at the end

chatmasta

Jan 7, 2007
NYC
Does anyone have SEO experience with EMD domains that have a number at the end? Do they perform comparably to pure EMDs?

Say your term was "blue widgets", I'm talking about something like "bluewidgets99.com"

Haven't tried numbers, but letters like "x" work OK, not as good as an EMD but a lot better than an unrelated domain name. Put it at the end, not the start.

I am currently working on a "bluewidgetsplus" and planned on setting up a case study here when i get around to the link building. The site is done, I just have other things link wise that need to get done. I will PM you when I start the thread.

That's not a bad one. I use "bluewidgetshq.com" a lot - and then promote it as Blue Widgets Headquarters. Good luck with the case study.

That's not a bad one. I use "bluewidgetshq.com" a lot - and then promote it as Blue Widgets Headquarters. Good luck with the case study.

I like the "HQ" modifier too.

A domain like bluewidgetshq.com or bluewidgets101.com makes for a good keyword-filled domain, perhaps you could call it a Phrase Match Domain, but it's not equal to an EMD. However, I prefer something like bluewidgetshq.com for an authority site, so it's partly about perspective.

Great, now I'm not going to be able to find any more hq domains j/k :costumed-smiley-013

They do not perform as well as pure EMDs, all else being equal. I've had a lot of success using small modifiers at the beginning or the end I typically use "my" or "the" at the beginning and "101", "247" or "365" at the end. "HQ" is pure genius--I'm going to have to start using that one now.

I haven't seen any difference with putting a modifier at the beginning or end from a SERP perspective. I could see how having it at the end might help a little bit on CTR from the SERPs, but I suspect it would be minor at best.