Email Marketing Rules/Laws

stussy5555

HNIC
Dec 12, 2007
So I have a list of about 100K emails from customers who have purchased something from my web site within the past couple of years. They were never asked to opt in to an email newsletter, because I didn't have one. What are the rules on sending a newsletter out to these 100K past customers of mine?

I researched and all I could really find was the Can Spam law. But I have heard before something about you can't email a customer of yours past 6 months (from the last time they made a transaction), or something along those lines?

Email gurus please advise. Can I send to these customers or not?

my bad, i only look at the aff marketing and shooting the shit sections.

mods, please move.

Just send them all an email asking them to opt-in to your brand new newsletter. Obviously you'll have to incent them hard to do it, but that's your fine for taking this long to create a list.

You can call them your leads, achieved in a legal way.
btw send them a mail from the same domain they purchased something from you with some shit, maybe a coupon, a subscription request and "clearly state" that if they don't want to be mailed by you they must click on a link. Give them a link to a privacy policy of your site, write why you sent them a mail (because thay have bought something years ago)
If they click on unsubscribe link you have lost the lead, if they don't click you have optin leads. Be sure most of them won't unsubscribe if you write a good copy.

what Flash said is good advise, but in my opinion would fall into best practices rather than legal necessities.

If someone bought something from you, you have a previous business relationship, so you can mail to them. Now if you did not have a privacy policy at the time that did not specifically say you could broker that data out, I would be careful about brokering the data.

In your first drop, include a link to your "updated privacy policy" and you should be good.